Skyline trail conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline trail conditions

Postby dima55 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 am

Hi. Has anybody hiked C2C recently? Is there any snow on the ground? Asking about the sections just below the tram and near the peak, obviously.

Thanks!
dima55

Re: Skyline trail conditions

Postby Ellen » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:03 pm

Howdy Dima55,

There is no snow on Skyline. From reports on SoCal hikers, there is a little snow/ice heading to the peak from the Long Valley that doesn't require traction.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby nobohiker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:38 pm

What is the best source for trail status? I checked the sparks website but coudn’t find it? I really like hike soon, but wonder if the recent rain/snow closed the trail? Thanks, Rick
nobohiker

Postby Ed » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:28 am

Check the PSAT Long Valley videocam for snow conditions:

https://pstramway.com/long-valley-cam/

If there is no snow in Long Valley, I doubt you are going to find much below.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:02 pm

Howdy Nobohiker :)

As Ed noted, the Long Valley Tram Cam is good for determining the amount of snow of on Skyline (which typically gets the most snow). SanJacJon summited San Jacinto today. He recommends micro spikes for the trails above 8 K. The traverse to Grubbs Notch (Long Valley) is a mess, so even several inches of new snow can make route finding difficult for first timers.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby nobohiker » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:10 am

Looks like a good option is to call the Ranger Station. I had a very helpful and kind conversation a few weeks ago, but did’t make it to SoCal back in December. I hope to be able to hike on Jan 22nd. I’ll call the Ranger again in a few days to get the latest.

FYI, last I hiked the trail was ~3 yers ago, any recommendation on current conditions are appreciated.

One question, the water I sourced from the Ranger station on my last hike didn’t taste too goo. Any recommendations? I do plan to head over to the tram station this time.

Happy Trails,

Rick
nobohiker

Postby Ellen » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:06 pm

Howdy Nobohiker :)

I hiked Skyline yesterday (Jan 13) with Miracle Marilyn. Our fast friend Diana passed us early -- she had also hiked Skyline the day before (!) and didn't use traction.

The snow started at Flatorock but did not require traction. At the beginning of the traverse, we donned spikes (Hillsounds for me and Mircospikes for Marilyn) to feel more secure. There was a fabulous boot track in the snow all the way from the beginning of the traverse to Grubbs Notch.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby nobohiker » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:37 pm

Thanks for the details Ellen.
I just checked weather again and it looks like I’ll have to postpone, early next week doesn’t look good.
Third attempt is hopefully the one..
nobohiker

Postby nobohiker » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:02 am

So I am thinking of making another attempt either tomorrow or the day after. Unfortunately it looks like the ranger station is closed today, so I can’t receive information on trail conditions. Earlier in the week rain/snow came in so I wonder if anyone here has any details?

I am for sure planning on bringing micro spikes, possibly ice axe.
Weather looks good, checked the round valley webcam, so I am familiar with that.
Anyways, thanks for your help.
Rick

Update: I did get trail conditions details. So no need anymore. Thanks
nobohiker

Postby Ellen » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:03 pm

Howdy Rick :)

Please post conditions for Skyline if you were able to go.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains