Best current access to Marion Mtn trail/Deer Springs trail?

General Palm Springs area.

Best current access to Marion Mtn trail/Deer Springs trail?

Postby OtherHand » Sun May 21, 2023 3:28 pm

I'd like to make a trip to the area near the intersection of the Marion Mountain trail and Deer Springs trail. I'm looking for a weather service radiosonde that went down in this general area (don't judge!), which seems like a stupid thing to do. I'm looking for info as to the best access route to this area, at the moment (preferably before Memorial Day). I think snow coverage at that elevation will be manageable, the trick is getting there.

In non-Snowmageddon times, I'd typically just take the cruel and steep Marion Mountain trail. However from watching SanJacJon's website, and forest service info, the roads to the trailhead appear to be still closed. As an alternative, I could park down on 243 and walk up 4S02 to the Marion trailhead. However that increases the total distance and elevation gain to something close to hiking the Deer Springs trail in from its start on 243. However that route, while longer than I'd like (I'm a lazy ass), is less steep than Marion.

There may be other options such as the Seven Pines trail, but I'm thinking they also currently suffer from trailhead access issues.

So if someone wanted to get to the intersection of the Marion and Deer Springs trails, in the near future, what might be the best route? I'm planning on calling the FS in Idyllwild in the next day or so to see if they have any road opening info, but I have low hopes of getting anything beyond, "It will open when it opens".
OtherHand

Re: Best current access to Marion Mtn trail/Deer Springs tra

Postby Florian » Mon May 22, 2023 5:39 am

I think you've covered the options pretty well. I'd worry Marrion Mtn trail might still have snowy or icy parts and being so steep could really be a problem. I think i'd come in via Deer Sp trail myself. I think Stone Creek campground is now open if that makes a difference.
Florian

Postby OtherHand » Mon May 22, 2023 6:07 am

Thanks. I was hoping I had missed something. It's been a number of years since I've been up Marion. I suppose I can push things off past Memorial Day and wait for the road to reopen if my laziness wins out.
OtherHand

Postby OtherHand » Mon May 22, 2023 12:56 pm

FYI, I called the FS station in Idyllwild this morning and they told me the road is currently open to the Marion trailhead. Their website says 4S02 is closed.
OtherHand

Postby Florian » Mon May 22, 2023 6:40 pm

Black Mtn road is also open but the FS website still says closed. Seems someone cut the lock and took the chain and FS decided to just leave it open.
Florian

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains