Skyline Cactus to Clouds - Any Updates on Trail Conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline Cactus to Clouds - Any Updates on Trail Conditions?

Postby willym133 » Mon May 15, 2023 2:27 pm

Hi,

I'm coming in to Palm Springs from the Midwest and was hoping to do the Cactus to Clouds hike later this week. I haven't seen any recent updates on trail conditions below the tram. Does anyone know if it's passable currently or are there still significant ice chutes below the tram?
willym133

Re: Skyline Cactus to Clouds - Any Updates on Trail Conditio

Postby youngrfpc » Tue May 16, 2023 6:52 pm

You can call the Ranger station at (760) 327-0222 for update (not
always the most helpful). I am planning to do C2C on May 26 weekend and called the
station yesterday for update. Was told it was “likely” to open in next week
or two. They check things once per week is what I was told.

Another good source for updates is https://sanjacjon.com/. Forecast and
melt rate seems positive so I am really hoping things open by my planned
trip as I have flights involved as well
youngrfpc

Postby Florian » Fri May 19, 2023 4:16 pm

The State Park reopened upper Skyline today, 5/19.
Florian

Postby guest » Sat May 20, 2023 8:20 am

Thanks for the update Florian. San Jac John is a great source for the San Jacinto mtns., but I don't think he gets over by the tram side, (east) of the mt often. Upper Skyline faces east and can hold snow & ice longer, especially the areas that get little sun.
By the looks of the Long Valley tram cam, most of the snow that gets sun is gone at 8,500 ft. Higher up, there could still be plenty, but the main trail from tram to summit gets a good amount of traffic, so it should be tramped down, (maybe bring micro-spikes & poles, (if you have them).

As Ed mentioned in another post, it's a good idea to check out the 1st 1k vertical feet, (the 1st mile of so) if you plan on a pre dawn start, as there are several "false trails", or side trails that can be a bit confusing.
If starting from the (west) end of Ramon Rd, (more gradual and a bit longer), it's easier to follow, although there's a couple side trails on it as well, (but they head down, or to an overlook).

Nat'l weather is calling for a chance of thunder storms the next couple days, which can include lightning & hail this time of year.
If your on your own in the trees before reaching Long Valley, pay attention to the trail, as some head up too soon, (before reaching Coffman's Crag, (the giant granite out-cropping just south of the tram itself). The last pull to Long Valley can be a bit of a mess with a couple different trails to take, but there all w-in 40 yards of each other, and all head up to Long Valley, (w steep chutes on both sides).

If your able to post the conditions here after your climb, I'm sure others would benefit. ss

Postby willym133 » Sun May 21, 2023 3:13 pm

A group of us did the hike yesterday. The lower section up to the tram, including the traverse and gulley, were almost completely clear of snow with only a could extremely small patches.

Two of us summited and three of us hiked up to Round Valley. At this point the summit is more of a challenge. There’s a lot of slush and snow and it’s slower going than usual, so give yourself time to summit. Definitely need micro spikes and poles. The melting snowpack is inconsistent and you can break through occasionally. Also, the creek is overflowing from the snowmelt, so prepare to take your shoes off and walk through water. Gators and waterproof boots aren’t a bad idea. Your feet will get wet with all the snowmelt.
willym133

Postby guest » Tue May 23, 2023 12:29 pm

Thanks Willym133, this is very helpful to many, although conditions will continue to change, I'm sure.
Congrats on your climb, even tougher with these conditions. Sounds like a lot of run-off, nice the creeks are flowing.

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains