Massive avalanche on north face of San Jac

General Palm Springs area.

Massive avalanche on north face of San Jac

Postby guest » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:41 pm

Hi folks, some may have heard, but it appears there was a massive avalanche on the north face of San Jacinto, aka Snow Creek), as witnessed and photoed by someone driving on the 10 frwy, (I think they are on RMRU).
From the photo, a massive cornice developed with these intense, and windy storms, (maybe 6-10 ft up there), and a huge section of the summit ridge gave way.

You can see the post here in Instagram, maybe someone can post the photo here, (I'll try).
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpJ6JTxLVU-/

It looks big enough to rearrange some of that chute & below.
Well, this may be one of those rare years to be able to walk right over the Chockstone, (at approx. 6k), if these good consolidation and it doesn't ice up too bad.

RMRU shot of San Jac Avalanche.png

Re: Massive avalanche on north face of San Jac

Postby Sally » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:30 pm

Wow! I am wondering about the possibility of avalanches occurring along the winter route to the peak (Up Sid Davis to Tamarack and up tp Miller Saddle and up the ridge to the Peak) in the near future...like this weekend. I was hoping to go Tramshoeing this Sunday. The picture gives me the impression that the whole top of the peak ridge came down. It looks like a chunk of cornice gave way.
Sally

Postby Sally » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:37 pm

By the way, my avatar on this forum is me on San Jacinto Peak on an epic snow day. I can't remember what year this pic was taken, but Ellen will know. As I recall, we had to climb over a bit of cornice to get to the very top. I wonder if that whole top of the Peak could have come down with us on it?!
Sally

Postby Ed » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:22 pm

SanJacJon had a report on the avalanche, along with the sources of the video.

https://sanjacjon.com/#dup1
Ed

Postby guest » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:30 am

Sally, always loved your pic with the trees heavy with ice & snow. I've seen the summit hut with snow up to the roof from a drift, as I'm sure you have, and "horizontal icicles" on the trees from gale-force winds.
The "summit ridge" facing north is about 50 yards from the actual summit, as you may know, and since most of the recent storms have come from the southwest, the cornice developed on the north side of that ridge.
My guess is, the summit itself, being a somewhat flat area of boulders, wasn't effected, (although theses one area to the NE that's pretty steep.
Being as crazy steep as that top chute is, when it gave way, it looks like some of it didn't stop until possibly the Chockstone at about 6k ft., in my estimation. There could be 10-20 feet of snow & debris lower down the chute.

I sent the pic to Bluerail (Steve) and Doug & Carl G, who have all climbed the N Face / Snow Creek numerous times, and we're all still amazing at this event.
Will be interesting to see what develops on the mountain the rest of the season, as it appears more storms could roll in before it's over. ss

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains