Fern Basin / Marion Mtn - mosquitos - when?

General Palm Springs area.

Fern Basin / Marion Mtn - mosquitos - when?

Postby chrysalis » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:38 am

Finally...I'm going camping again in San Jacinto!

This time for an extended duration...2-3 weeks+ in late May/June.

I've already booked time in Fern Basin and Marion Mountain, and my question is -- when do the mosquitos come around there?

I just visited the area VERY briefly in the past couple of weeks....of course, no mosquitos in December!

It will be my first time camping in these areas ...and I read the mosquitos could be bad there. I have the more sun exposed sites booked in those campgrounds, so maybe that helps. Away from bathrooms as well, on the end.

I've camped in Round Valley before for a couple of nights, and one night in Idyllwild CG -- both many years ago, no mosquito issues - don't remember month off hand. Round Valley is much higher in altitude of course.

Of course things will vary depending on the actual weather...but I'm crossing my fingers I'm early enough...though part of one reservation crosses officially into the first several days of summer 2023 (June 21st)

Reading that it says mosquitos like 50F+....which I never thought about before specifically. June per Wiki climate says lows in mid-high 40s at night FWIW.

https://ieshineon.com/city/when-is-mosq ... ornia.html
chrysalis

Re: Fern Basin / Marion Mtn - mosquitos - when?

Postby Sose » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:57 pm

I've posted there in years past during June, August, September and October. Never really had a problem with them. (Not much water around Marion mtn camp). This year might be wetter though.
Sose

Re: Fern Basin / Marion Mtn - mosquitos - when?

Postby chrysalis » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Sose wrote:I've posted there in years past during June, August, September and October. Never really had a problem with them. (Not much water around Marion mtn camp). This year might be wetter though.

Are mosquitos attracted to you? Or just not much of an issue there?

I'm bringing a portable battery hanging bug light for the first time camping. We'll see how that works...failing that I'll go buy a Thermacell.
chrysalis

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains