Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:08 am

Howdy All :)

I completed my first fall Skyline yesterday. As Santa Claus said in the movie "Elf" as he's trying to escape the Central Park Rangers, "I think I'm getting too old for this!" :lol:

Started at 5:35 AM. There's nothing quite like stumbling around in the dark with a headlamp, especially when trying to go up the bypass that avoids the downhill. But that sunrise, with the Salton Sea on fire...

Approaching the Enchanted Forest below the Mars Ridge.

If only my legs were that long.

Coffman's Crag is still really far away.

Florian's Point.

For clarification, that's a thumb's up at Florian's, not the middle finger.

Finally, the beginning of the traverse.

Looking towards San Gorgonio.

Picture from Grubbs viewing point.
Ellen

Re: Skyline

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:38 am

Part 2

The trail is in excellent shape until the traverse which is eroded. I'm assume this is from the same monsoonal rains that caused the horrific mudslides in Forest Falls. It is NOT unsafe, but I'm glad I know the route.

I'm also happy to report there is no new graffiti. The Trail Angel is also happy :)

Trying to get a ride back to my car was a PITA. Uber and Lyft rates have gone up and the wait time has increased. The tram supervisor kindly called a cab for me. I waited, he called again, no cabs available. Thankfully, friends were able to contact my friend David Stewart and he picked me up. Special thanks to my Tram friend Jessica for her help and moral support.

I was ecstatic to get to my car and finally have a fabulous meal at the Original Las Casuelas.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:42 am

There is always the Doreen solution: walk back. Not that I have ever, ever considered it for myself.
Ed

Postby guest » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:36 am

Thanks for posting Ellen, it's like taking a guided trip up the ol trail. Glad to hear it's in good shape, and no "do-gooders" are fouling it up with needless markings or writings.
I remember how sad I felt after seeing the old tombstone-looking rock around 4500 ft. that said Palm Springs (5 hrs. or something like that), being vandalized. I'm sure it's been there at least 30+ years.
The so-called death-sign, (warning) at 1700 ft. has come and gone at least a couple times, but somehow the old painted ones above the picnic benches, (one being a bit inaccurate, I think it says 8 miles / 10 hrs.?), seem to survive on.

I know many of us, (Ellen included) have had occasional luck making friends on the tram down, to get back close to the Museum, but not always. At times, (some cab drivers included), it can be a bit harrowing, as they'll be doing 50mph+, not gearing down, riding brakes the whole way). I've seen more than a few cars at the bottom at traffic light, with brakes smoking). A skateboard would get you about 1/2 way there without any effect, except you'd probably be making a stop at the hospital, (which you have to pass en route anyways!).

For those who have trained hard, now is the time to climb this mountain. ss

Postby Sally » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:52 pm

Congratulations! You may think you are getting too old for this, but maybe you just need to scale back your expectations. I have not done Skyline in 2 years, and time is running out to get back into shape enough to do it again. Given perfect weather and sufficient time, maybe 10 hours, I really think I could do it! The suffering would probably be immense, but it feels so good to experience all those senses of sight, sound, scents, pain and doubt, and the brain getting an overdose of those endorphins at the completion of the route.

When I was aware of your plight to get back to your car, I seriously considered leaving work early (We were having a dreadfully slow day) to go and pick you up. Maps said it was only 1 hour 23 minutes to get to the tram from my work...a much shorter time than you waited! The perks for me would have been to hang out with you and probably get treated to a meal at Las Casuelas.
Sally

Postby Ellen » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:16 pm

Howdy All :)

Hiked Skyline to the tram with my friend Pyro Dude yesterday (left his car at the tram). It was warmer than Skyline last Sunday, but still manageable. As we approached Rescue One, I heard, "Hey, I know these people!" It was our friend David 8) He was restocking the box with water :) and carrying out all of the trash left by inconsiderate people :x At the top of the Shady Slope, I heard someone call out. It was our fast friend Sloan 8)

I confess that suffering on Skyline is better shared with friends :lol: We saw a man dressed in black sitting in the shade of the Gorilla Head rock before the Mars ridge. He said that he was OK and had adequate water, salt and fuel. When we got to Rescue Two, we found empty bottles :x When I checked the box last Sunday, I was pleasantly surprised to find it fully stocked. I don't understand why folks who are fit enough to hike Skyline take emergency water AND leave the empty bottles :evil:

We had a brief fuel stop at Flat Rock before ascending my favorite section (Flatrock to the traverse). We caught up with a group of four gentlemen -- one was having severe cramps. Offered salt capsules and water but the group said they were OK. Right before the Thank you Jesus Rocks, a couple descending stepped out for us. They confirmed they were descending on purpose (training) :o Not my cup of tea.

It was relief to reach Grubbs and scramble up the rocks to the viewpoint. From the traverse on, I kept hearing the song "Glory Days" by Bruce Springstein :lol: Took the first tram down, Pyro Dude returned me to my car, and I enjoyed another fabulous meal at Las Casuelas.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PS The 10 freeway is a hot mess going both directions, but especially going west :cry:
Ellen

Postby Brian » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:19 pm

Ed, I always like add one can walk down Tramway Road to 2753 N Palm Canyon Dr. (bus stop) and catch a city bus and holiday trolley back to museum for a couple of dollars.
Brian

Postby Ed » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:40 am

Brian wrote:Ed, I always like add one can walk down Tramway Road to 2753 N Palm Canyon Dr. (bus stop) and catch a city bus and holiday trolley back to museum for a couple of dollars.

I think I have seen Doreen past the bus stop. I have hiked the tram road a number of times. But after doing Skyline, I would be down on my knees in the parking area begging for a ride, rather than walk back. Well, not on my knees. I am sure I could find some other way of persuading strangers to take pity on me.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:08 pm

Howdy Ed and Brian :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Both of you are tougher than I am -- I've never walked down the tram road. I have also never hiked C2C2C (museum to peak and back). I hope to hike C2C (museum to peak to tram) again at some point.

I hiked Skyline yesterday with a friend. Bottom line -- we used microspikes on the traverse to Grubbs Notch. Other hikers haven't but I felt far more secure wearing them.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Ellen

Postby Ed » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:30 am

What beautiful bighorns! I have seen them on the trail, once or twice. But not quite that close!
Ed

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains