Skyline/C2C season

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline/C2C season

Postby Ellen » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:17 pm

Howdy All :)

Last Saturday, I hiked to San Jacinto from the tram with the Summits! Meetup. We had originally planned to hike the Strawberry loop but a gnarly storm was approaching. Went up the main trails. Once we passed the Miller switchback, a group of hikers/runners came flying down the trail at us. A friend noted, "Guess they didn't get the memo," referring to uphill right-of-way. I replied, "They're freezing." Stayed long enough at the summit for a photo before heading down to the San Jacinto Bunkbed and Breakfast for lunch. At the peak, we met a fast/fit woman who started C2C at 3 am. Nothing quite like cooking at the bottom of Skyline followed by very cold temps at the summit.

Another C2C hiker came to the hut as we were finishing lunch. We descended via winter route to Miller saddle, then Ranger Overland and Sid Davis. It was wonderful to see my tram family again :D

I'm heading up Skyline to the tram tomorrow. Hope to see some friendly faces on the trail 8)

I dedicate tomorrow's Skyline (my first trip this fall) to the Trail Angel who has been diligently removing graffiti from Skyline :D

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Skyline/C2C season

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:39 pm

Looks a little cold for shorts, Ellen! And what is that thing on your ankle?
Ed

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:43 am

Ed wrote:Looks a little cold for shorts, Ellen! And what is that thing on your ankle?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ed, I didn't notice the problem with my Dirty Girl Gaiters until now. Wardrobe failure :oops:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby futbol » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:56 pm

I had been planning to hike C2C2C today/tonight/tomorrow, but snow and (especially) ice made me cancel this trip. I waited for a mostly full moon. Sanjacjon is showing the trail conditions as unfavorable and comments on this forum indicate that the Skyline section is very dangerous under certain conditions (ice and exposure).

Question: What are the chances that a C2C2C hike could be safe again this year?
futbol

Postby Ed » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:47 am

You can check the snow in Long Valley and the 5 day weather forecast on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway website.

https://pstramway.com/long-valley-cam/

My guess would be that trekking poles and microspikes would be ok for current snow conditions, that it takes a thicker layer of snow and more freeze-thaw cycles for ice to be a problem. But a thin layer of snow can make route finding a problem, plus it looks like cold and windy weather for a while. Generally, this is very early for a thick layer of snow that will last for the rest of winter, there will be probably be better opportunities within the next 4-5 weeks. A full C2C is ambitious at this time of year!
Ed

Postby futbol » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:17 am

Thanks for the info Ed.

I've got the spikes and poles, and I'm willing to abandon hikes if the conditions seem sketch or if I've taken on too much.

I'll check the weather and web cam within the next few weeks. After that, it is probably too late for this year (without actual winter gear like snow shoes, etc.).
futbol

Postby Ed » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:40 am

futbol wrote:Thanks for the info Ed.

I've got the spikes and poles, and I'm willing to abandon hikes if the conditions seem sketch or if I've taken on too much.

I'll check the weather and web cam within the next few weeks. After that, it is probably too late for this year (without actual winter gear like snow shoes, etc.).

You will probably see reports here within a week or so. It is tough to turn back at 7k!
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains