Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Closing for Maintenance

General Palm Springs area.

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Closing for Maintenance

Postby tramtim1 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:48 am

The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway will close for annual maintenance beginning Monday, September 12, 2022 with a tentative reopening date of Monday, October 10.

Tim
tramtim1

Re: Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Closing for Maintenance

Postby guest » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up Tim, enjoy your time away from all the crowds, hope you sneak in a hike here & there, just you and the deer up there! Sounds like you had another flash flood come roaring through the Valley Sta again recently. scott

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:00 pm

Actually, I suppose, if one were crowds-averse, that the shut down period would be a great time to explore Round Valley, Tamarack, etc. Some times those areas are a mob scene.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ed » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:14 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:Actually, I suppose, if one were crowds-averse, that the shut down period would be a great time to explore Round Valley, Tamarack, etc. Some times those areas are a mob scene.

HJ

We moved last summer to Trinidad, a tiny town on the North Coast of California, seeking a cooler, greener, wetter place to spend our final years. There is an old man around here (actually only four years older than I am) who roams the town looking for people to listen to his rambling and disjointed monologues. I have spent enough time listening to him to know that he grew up in Orange County, and spent a great deal of time in the San Bernardino and San Jacinto Mountains. He once said 'Then they built the tram and ruined the back country'. I was probably the only person in Humboldt County who would understand what he was talking about. And one of the few anywhere who would agree with it. (Yes, I have used the tram many times, including 47 Skyline hikes. I would still prefer it not be there.)
Ed

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Ed wrote:I have used the tram many times, including 47 Skyline hikes. I would still prefer it not be there.

Yeah, I get that though I too have used it many times over the years. I remember hiking in from one of the west side trailheads (Fuller Ridge?) and spending a day or two bopping about in unpeopled areas like the Willow Creek drainage between Wellmans Cienega and the Willow Creek Trail. Eventually, I passed through the east side area (Wellman Divide, SJ summit, Round Valley, etc.) and was aghast at the number of people. It was quite unsettling compared to the peace and quiet I had been in.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains