Is Skyline open yet?

General Palm Springs area.

Is Skyline open yet?

Postby zippetydude » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:54 pm

This is the perfect season and the final big storm has passed. I'm hoping they have removed the restrictions or that they do so in the next few days.

z
zippetydude

Re: Is Skyline open yet?

Postby Florian » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:26 am

I was wondering same. Latest post on SanJacJon.com says expected to reopen sometime in April. I just msged Jon to see if he has an update.
Florian

Postby nobohiker » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:43 pm

also waiting for this so I can start nagging my hiking buddy to head up again ;-)
nobohiker

Postby guest » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:05 am

Hopefully the SP will send out a notice soon, as I've heard there's very little snow or ice on the upper portions, (except maybe the few N facing spots. Even the tramcam is showing very little on Long Valley.
Kind of nice the trail had some rest from the throngs it gets in a typical spring.

If your reading this and considering the climb, please go easy on the short cuts, gel wrappers, markings on rocks, (which most aren't even on the normal route), restroom breaks right next to trail, obvious under-conditioned hikers attempt a tough climb, (placing strain & risk on SAR's folks, if a rescue is required), etc.
Do your research, know what your getting into, know when to throw in the towel and turn around, (do it by 3-5k ft.), have some heat conditioning, be used to carrying a gallon plus on your back, that your can access easily,(i.e. drink tube), know the trail, or go with someone who does, be safe, have fun. ss

Postby zippetydude » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:42 pm

Hi Scott. I hear people are already doing the trail with no real problems. I'll be out of the country for the next couple weeks, but I plan on doing it 'til the heat goes crazy (like Friday this week!) to get in some fun conditioning. By the way, this board is a tight knit family, I doubt anyone is wandering across these pages for advice. Here's what Alltrails has to say:

"Generally considered a challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 49 min to complete. This is a very popular area for backpacking, camping, and cross-country skiing, so you'll likely encounter other people while exploring."

REALLY? Some people think a 5k run is challenging. This is a marathon in disguise. I hope no one gets caught off guard by the difficulty. A good trail guide on the real difficulty on "popular" sites would be life-saving. Hopefully that will show up soon. For now, "generally considered a challenging route" (which sounds like it is only hard for wimps) is preposterous. My two cents.

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:15 am

Hey Zip, your probably right about most knowing about this board, (and if it has any Skyline / C2C info.

Bummer about Alltrails, that can actually be a contributor to many running into trouble, and some needing rescue.
Seems Alltrails is a "members contributing" type of site, where folks can ad info they want to, and unfortunately, the macho / ego can get involved, (most don't want to say a certain trail is an ass-kicker).

Plus, the "very popular area" sounds misleading, as there's days when you can see almost no one on Skyline, and maybe just a few to the summit, (on a weekday), and even then, from the tram to summit isn't exactly flooding with folks, unless it's a warm summer weekend.
I may see if I can somehow contact them, even though anyone with half a brain can see these 2 hikes, (Skyline & the full C2C) have massive elevation gain, in fairly short distance. ss

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:46 pm

Liked Scott's 'executive summary' of Skyline advice. Particularly liked combining esthetic and environmental concerns with safety ones. Even if only a few people read and follow it, it is worthwhile.

Also liked and miss Cynthia's annual rant about hiking Skyline in the summer. Now that was not an executive summary, it was a literary masterpiece.
Ed

Postby guest » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:29 pm

Thanks Ed, I 2nd remarks about Cynthia's annual warnings, could we call it Brutal Eloquence, (being the writer she is).

I guess Perry doesn't have his C2C website anymore. I do appreciate The Hiking Guy's site and vids, but have a little reservation about him relying almost exclusively on the white dots all over the trail, (as he did it in the dark until 4k ft.).
One reason I wouldn't make it on SAR's is being able to deal with arrogance of some regarding this trail.

For years many of us who used to hike it almost weekly, would gently warn folks on the trail, especially those who looked like they were struggling. Many would appreciate and sometimes take the advise, (like, do yourself a huge favor and turn around), many others would just become more embolden hearing of the difficulty; Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead, and usually suffer big time, or completely fall apart, (like the few people spotted a couple months ago on the Traverse, who were rescued). Lets hope most folks attempting this climb have a good, successful experience, (whether completing it or not). ss

Postby Pyrodude » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:09 pm

I have discovered from sources that are extremely reliable, that the Upper Skyline Trail including the Traverse, and the final climb from Coffman's to Grubb's, has zero need for spikes. The entire route can be travelled on dirt or stone.
Yet, the trail remains officially closed by the State.
The Rangers have for many years wanted to close Skyline, and now that they have exercised this power, I fear this national treasure may remain permanently closed by the edict of some bureaucrat, who probably has never once
hiked Skyline.
What can be done to reclaim our trail?
Pyrodude

Skyline closure

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:29 pm

Howdy All :)

We can present a signed petition to the Mt. San Jacinto State Park to open Skyline -- https://www.change.org/petitions

We can also write letters and post on the state park FB page.

In the summer of 2013, the entrance to the Vivian Creek TH was only open from 6 AM to 8 PM. The entrance was also patrolled by an obnoxious individual who demanded to see a hiking permit and wilderness parking pass.
I and others felt this was ridiculous for access and safety reasons and started a petition to keep the gate unlocked. I also wrote several letters to the forest supervisor and district ranger for the San Bernadino National Forest.

Here's the discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4381&hilit=locked+gate

By the way, poster Screerider was the obnoxious gate guard.

I am happy to sign such a petition and encourage friends to sign if they agree. Also happy to write a letter.

I'd like someone else to spearhead the petition. I still have scars from the Vivian gate incident :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains