Old Deer Spring Trail

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Old Deer Spring Trail

Postby zippetydude » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:13 pm

Hi Ed. I did Vivian Creek today, but with an impossible "Hikin' Jim" scenario. We went up his Vivian Cut-off route, then took old trails and xc routes. 6.35 miles to the summit, and more fun than I have had in a long time along the way. If you're up, we can do this!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ed » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:34 am

Amazing, Zip! A fun trip for you is, for most people, a recipe for becoming lost and collapsing from exhaustion!
Ed

Postby Sally » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:24 pm

I am just popping in to say "Hi" to y'all. I would not be the hikin' fool I am today had I not stumbled across this forum in about 2009 or whenever. This is a fun topic. My very first hike to San Jacinto Peak was via the Seven Pines Trail back in the mid 90's. I did it solo with no route-finding issues. The last time I did it was with my hiking buddies Ellen and Marilyn about 3 or 4 years ago. We lost the trail several times and dealt with a lot of deadfall. From what I've heard, currently there is barely much of a trail left there at all and good navigation skills are necessary to go that way. It is as if it will become a ghost trail. If I were retired and had the time and the strength, I would be interested in salvaging the trail. I know some friends that volunteer and work on trails in the San Gabriels and trails nearer to LA, but I know of no crews that work on Trails in San Jacinto's except for when I would run into CCC crews. Is there a volunteer crew that works on trails in the San Jacinto Wilderness?

My first trip up to San Gorgonio summit was in the mid 70's and the trailhead was at Poopout Hill. Back then I never accessed San G via Vivian Creek Trail, but when I hike Vivian these days I always use some of those older "trails" just so that I can get back to the car before I expire!
Sally

Postby Florian » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi Sally. Jon King has been clearing the deadfalls on the Seven Pines trail recently.
Florian

Postby Sally » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:14 pm

Yes, Florian, we ran into Jon last week on Deer Springs Trail. I think he is a one-man crew! Thank you San Jac Jon!
Sally

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains