Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:07 am

Howdy All :)

I hiked my first Skyline since the tram re-opened. Started about 5:15 to hopefully catch a good sunrise and because I figured it would take me at least 7 hours to reach the tram :lol: Stumbling around in the dark for a while was worth the sunrise.

I'm always happy to see San Jacinto at peak over point.

Great view of San Gorgonio before reaching the enchanted garden (area before the red rock aka Mars ridge). My preferred selfie -- a shadow :wink:

A well known rest area that I call Florian's point.

Only about 500 more vertical feet, thank heavens. There was a dusting of snow on the traverse.

Whew -- at last!

Put on my mask and went directly to the boarding area. Once on the tram, our conductor looked like the Craigmeister 04 :o Wait a minute, he's retired -- I'm having post-Skyline hallucinations :lol: Turns out 04 is helping out. This really was old-home Sunday -- in additions to Craig, three of my much faster friends passed me on Skyline 8) Thanks so much to the two locals (Terri and Bob) who took me to my car. Celebrated my first fall Skyline with Chili Verde at the original Las Causelas before suffering through a two hour :? drive to Riverside.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Skyline

Postby guest » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks Ellen, always enjoy & appreciate your TR's! You make me a bit envious, as it looks like you had a great day for it. Glad the mechanical was fixed quickly to salvage a Sunday out of the weekend. I can picture myself at each of those photo spots, (& how I might feel) there). I love that area around 4k where you can see your destination, (a bit intimidating), but it also comes at one of the more mellow and enjoyable sections of the climb.
How cool to get to see Craig, he always seemed to enjoy working there, and he has a bit of a different life now, so this is probably good for him, (& us, ha!).
Was able to climb the Baldy loop clockwise from Manker Flats a couple weeks ago, down the D Backbone, (good wx there as well).
Fingers crossed will get a good winter in the mtns! scott

Postby arocknoid » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:57 pm

Thank you for the TR and pics, Ellen. Love those sunrise shots.

be well,
arocknoid
arocknoid

Postby zippetydude » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi all! Good to see everyone is still out and about having fun. I did Skyline on the 12th and the 27th and saw almost no one. It would be easy to make our trips overlap - if anyone is doing SKyline, especially on the weekend, shoot me a text (909-213-6833) and I'll see if we can run into each other either on the trail or perhaps at the Tram bar. :D

Btw, I started a Meetup called "Zip's Trips - Unexpected Adventures in Little Known Places." It's free, of course, just a bunch of hikin' fools getting together for fun. I would love to see some old friends pop in for some of the kooky adventures. Here's a link:

https://www.meetup.com/Zips-Trips-Unexp ... wn-Places/

In any case, hope to see some of you on the trail soon!

z
zippetydude

Postby Jimbozeubuen » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am

zippetydude wrote:Hi all! Good to see everyone is still out and about having fun. I did Skyline on the 12th and the 27th and saw almost no one. It would be easy to make our trips overlap - if anyone is doing SKyline, especially on the weekend, shoot me a text (909-213-6833) and I'll see if we can run into each other either on the trail or perhaps at the Tram bar. :D

Btw, I started a Meetup called "Zip's Trips - Unexpected Adventures in Little Known Places." It's free, of course, just a bunch of hikin' fools getting together for fun. I would love to see some old friends pop in for some of the kooky adventures. Here's a link:

https://www.meetup.com/Zips-Trips-Unexp ... wn-Places/

In any case, hope to see some of you on the trail soon!

z

Hi Zip,

I'm planning to do C2C this Saturday. How are the trail conditions on Skyline? Are there a lot of fallen trees at the traverse?

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimbozeubuen

Postby zippetydude » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:26 pm

No, it's completely clear by the traverse. The trail is in great shape. On the 12th it had 6" of snow - easy but beautiful, but it was gone by the end of the month. Your timing is perfect. I may do it Sunday. Have fun!

z
zippetydude

Postby Jimbozeubuen » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:29 am

Awesome, thanks Zip!
Jimbozeubuen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains