Rescue of Skyline, mid July, (surprise!)

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Rescue of Skyline, mid July, (surprise!)

Postby Ed » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:15 pm

Ellen,

Still makes exciting reading, though not at all the right kind of excitement. Can you place where you fell relative to the now-standard descent route to Miller Saddle? There is one short section, not far below the summit, where I have slipped and fallen on my snowshoes, even though they are MSR Lightning Ascents. And wished I was on skis so I could side-slip down.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:14 am

Howdy Ed :)

I believe it was northeast. Followed snowshoe tracks down but obviously failed to correct :oops: and those darn Atlas snowshoes turned into sleds.

Howdy Ed and Scott 2 8)

Regarding Skyline -- Sally and I have fixated on that exact same square tree :lol:

The "Thank you Jesus rocks," came from Doreen the Skyline Queen. It has also been referred to as "strap on point" :wink: due to the need for traction in the winter.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PS Scott2 -- I cannot even look at canned sardines and cream of chicken soup without getting queasy :roll:
Ellen

Postby guest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Howdy Ellen,
Indeed, seems we all need a distraction coming up that ridge to Strap on Point, (I remember this rather peculiar name back when we were all doing Skyline regularly), so thanks to the Square Tree for keeps us occupied! If you didn't strap on at that point, you could be screwed? (I know, it's a family channel), as the exposure is real after that.
I remember you mentioning the rather nasty sardines & soup, (reminds me when my Dad was in the war, someone gave them fruit cocktail for over a month for desert, never ate it again, when he got out!).
Now maybe we can do w/out the Christmas tree Tina put so much effort into, a bit before BFR! S2

Postby ShawnBot » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:58 pm

It's so hard not to harsh on these people. Such a waste of resources, not to mention time and $$$ for everyone else. But glad they're okay.

Maybe we need a video at the bottom that people are forced to watch b4 being "allowed" on the trail, along with a video affidavit of their acceptance of risk...
ShawnBot

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains