Rescue of Skyline, mid July, (surprise!)

General Palm Springs area.

Rescue of Skyline, mid July, (surprise!)

Postby guest » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:31 pm

My buddy who's super tough in the heat under physical excursion, (desert rat and in the roofing biz), who's been doing Skyline regularly for decades, (including occasional summer climbs), came upon a couple guys trying to find a little shade in the manzanita, (exposed area above Flat Rock at 6-7k ft.).
He's saved plenty of people over the years by prodding and encouraging for hours to the tram, and asked if they were ok, and they said yes. An hour later, when he was around Coffmans Crag, he heard the chopper. Mentioned they started at 3am, but were wearing tennis shoes and tank tops!
Hopefully someone like RMRUPete will give us the details, or maybe post of their site.
He ran into them around 9am, which is decent time for a 3am start, but in July it's too late no matter what time, (even midnight or earlier it's still hot, and rocks haven't cooled as much).
This is one climb, (especially in summer), that you just can't do on guts & determination, and have to be super fit & seriously heat conditioned, and even then, it's a bad idea.

Like some of us who've lived in the desert for decades, and have plenty of encounters with people suffering from heat conditions, he could tell they were suffering, (red in the face and not in top shape), like you need to be to attempt this climb in serve heat. RMRU & the Riv Sheriff's would have a lot of extra funds for equipment etc. if they charged, (I know, it's a complicated, controversial topic!), but in certain circumstances, it might be justified, (but then people may not call, and possibly die). Just glad it appears their ok.
ss

Re: Rescue of Skyline, mid July, (surprise!)

Postby Sally » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Yikes! Glad they are OK! I've done 4 hikes in the last 15 days, (NOT Skyline!) in the higher elevations of the local mountains, with trees, running springs in which to cool down, and a few breezes, starting at 5:00 AM. I fried my brains out in the heat on all 4 hikes! Did Fuller Ridge to Peak yesterday with Ellen and Marilyn and it was not too bad except for a few exposed spots. Road up to the TH could use some grading, it was very bumpy!
But as for Skyline, I'll not be hiking it until about late October, provided I can keep in shape until then.
Sally

Postby Florian » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:13 pm

From the Palm Springs Mounted Police Search & Rescue facebook page..

Yesterday (07-15-21) at approximately 9:30am, the Palm Springs Mounted Police Search and Rescue Unit were dispatched to a hiker in distress on the skyline trail. With the help of the RSO helicopter Rescue 9, the hikers were located and hoisted off the mountain to a landing zone located on the O'Donnell golf course. After being evaluated by members of the PSFD and AMR, both hikers were released from the scene.
Florian

Postby guest » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:21 pm

Thanks Florian, I'll bet a shady golf course felt a lot better than an exposed ridge on a brutal summer climb in the heat, with another couple tough miles, (in their condition), of climbing ahead.
Sally, if it's been hot higher up, Skyline, as you know, it's totally exposed until a bit after the area they made it to, must have been very toasty.
The RSO helo crew is outstanding, and those 2 hikers were very lucky that service was available, otherwise, something bad, like them deciding to head back down, or just wait it out until the sun gets low, but by them their fluids and food may have been exhausted, (w body core raising). Only bummer is they missed the beer at the tram, (they were probably really looking forward to).
Plus, a free 3 min. ride, (including an awesome hoist, although us taxpayer probably help foot this bill), instead of a $13 one-way tram down! ss

Postby Ellen » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:49 am

Howdy Scott2,

Aye yi yi :o Thank you for the details about the rescued hikers from our heat-trained roofer friend :wink: I saw the Palm Springs Mounted Police SAR FB post yesterday and wondered about the elevation of the rescue.

Just looked at the predicted temperature for Palm Springs tomorrow at 3 AM -- 90 degrees :shock: As you noted, even in the dark it's hot. My last Skyline was in early June with Miracle Marilyn and we started at 4:30 am (about 70 degrees). Took us a bit over 7 hours. When we saw Tram Tim, he told us a hiker had been rescued off of Lykken.

Kudos to Palm Springs Mounted Police SAR for the rescue.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:45 pm

Blame it on Cynthia, for no longer posting her wonderful June rant about hiking Skyline in the summer.
Ed

Postby guest » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:59 am

Hi Ellen & Ed,
Yes, those guys & gals doing the SAR's are heroes for sure, and you got to see them up close & personnel, (did you have tea & crumpets at the summit shelter with them that day?)! Guess that food up there isn't too appealing.
According to Doug, they were 20 min. above Flat Rock, (at Doug's pace :P, so maybe that area way south, before trail begins heading back to the NW), which is before the trees, luckily, making it decent, (I'd imagine) for a hoist lift, (wonder if those 2 got a ride in the E-ticket "screamer suit" to the helo, (something I was looking forward to on a horse rescue on the pct a few yrs. back, until the hoist mech malfunctioned, so a hover & gently jump on board it was, (complete w the hurricane winds!).

Yeah Ed, maybe it's all Cynthia's fault :lol: , not sure how many folks due their due diligence and find this board, or other sites to really get the scoop on the dangers.
I can feel for the 2 guys, as they must have been boiling by then, and I find that area one of The toughest on the climb, complete with accumulated fatigue, core temp spiking, dehydration, possible blood sugar woes, altitude exposure, (maybe blisters, chaffing, etc.). scott

Postby Ed » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:21 am

guest wrote: I find that area one of The toughest on the climb, complete with accumulated fatigue, core temp spiking, dehydration, possible blood sugar woes, altitude exposure, (maybe blisters, chaffing, etc.). scott

I usually have started off from Flat Rock pretty chipper, thanks to a half hour or so of rest and refreshment. It does not last long. After a while, I am studying the lonely tree on the skyline to the left, it becomes my benchmark of how far I have come and how far I have to go.
Ed

Postby guest » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Ha Ed, I think I know the tree your talking about. It's on the ridge, (to the SW), and looks rather square, for some reason.
Then of course, there's Thank You Jesus Rock, (thxs to Ellen & friends naming), as your heading "into the mt." (slightly west), just before the welcome & more gradual Traverse!
Although in winter, this is also one of the spots to don some spikes, as the drop-off exposure & north-western facing trail can get sketchy.

Postby Ellen » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am

Howdy Scott2 :)

"Tea & crumpets at the summit shelter" with RMRU -- you're killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:

For those who don't know about my snowshoeing misadventure in February 2008:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=663&hilit=Chillin%27+with+Ellen

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains