Attempting a summit from the tram in a few weeks

General Palm Springs area.

Attempting a summit from the tram in a few weeks

Postby Hotfootedhiker » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Hi guys I was wondering what’s the current water situation. This is our first time attempting to Summit San Jacinto peak via the tram. If water is unreliable I’m planning on bringing 4L of water to make it to the peak and back.
Thanks
Matt
Hotfootedhiker

Re: Attempting a summit from the tram in a few weeks

Postby Florian » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:59 am

Per sanjacjon.com the Round Valley pipe was flowing weakly on 6/28. Otherwise creeks are dry. I'd plan to carry all your water.
Florian

Postby Ed » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:52 am

Hotfootedhiker wrote:Hi guys I was wondering what’s the current water situation. This is our first time attempting to Summit San Jacinto peak via the tram. If water is unreliable I’m planning on bringing 4L of water to make it to the peak and back.
Thanks
Matt

Assuming a day hike, and starting well-hydrated, I would think 2-3 liters per person is fine.
Ed

Postby Hotfootedhiker » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:45 pm

[/quote]

Assuming a day hike, and starting well-hydrated, I would think 2-3 liters per person is fine.[/quote]

We are planning for a day hike. I was thinking 3-4 liters. We will both have our 100oz camelbaks with our day hike gear and a 1 liter smart water bottle of Gatorade.
Hotfootedhiker

Postby guest » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi Hotfootedhiker,
I like the idea of 100oz bladder and a liter bottle, (good electrolytes would be even better than gatorade).
Being at altitude doing a strenuous activity requires lots of hydration. Most of the time in the forest it's fairly dry air, (unless a summer monsoon comes up from the south).
You could chug a bottle at the tram, (better water than ranger sta, at bottom of long concrete walkway). I usually allow 5-6 hrs. round trip for folks that are moderately fit, with little altitude training, (of course it can be hiked much faster). This allows for a little hang time at the summit, (of shelter, if wx is bad), and a short break or two at Round Valley, Wellman's Devide of Miller saddle, (area where the 2 long switchbacks meet approx. 10,400ft. I usually land up eating more on this hike, than I do on others, and drink plenty as well/.
Have a great hike, (try getting a tram before 9am to avoid the crowds). S2

Postby Hotfootedhiker » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks for the information. It’s funny I’ve summited San G 13 out of 14 times over 20 years and a few summits on San Bernardino Peak as well.and not to forget Mt Baldy lol. My 13 year old son has Summited all the local peaks also. We have only backpacked one San Jacinto a few times for reasons I don’t know why we have waited this long. We will be going on a Monday and will take the time to arrive in consideration. Good idea chugging a bottle before we hike.
guest wrote:Hi Hotfootedhiker,
I like the idea of 100oz bladder and a liter bottle, (good electrolytes would be even better than gatorade).
Being at altitude doing a strenuous activity requires lots of hydration. Most of the time in the forest it's fairly dry air, (unless a summer monsoon comes up from the south).
You could chug a bottle at the tram, (better water than ranger sta, at bottom of long concrete walkway). I usually allow 5-6 hrs. round trip for folks that are moderately fit, with little altitude training, (of course it can be hiked much faster). This allows for a little hang time at the summit, (of shelter, if wx is bad), and a short break or two at Round Valley, Wellman's Devide of Miller saddle, (area where the 2 long switchbacks meet approx. 10,400ft. I usually land up eating more on this hike, than I do on others, and drink plenty as well/.
Have a great hike, (try getting a tram before 9am to avoid the crowds). S2
Hotfootedhiker

Postby Florian » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:25 am

Remember tramway only has 8am cars on Fri, Sat, and Sun. 10am other days.
Florian

Postby Hotfootedhiker » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:15 am

Yeah I noticed that’s it’s 10a for next Monday. That’s a late start but it is what it is. We will be able to do it. Last tram down is 9pm
Florian wrote:Remember tramway only has 8am cars on Fri, Sat, and Sun. 10am other days.
Hotfootedhiker

Postby guest » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 am

Hi Matt,
You should be fine with a 10 or 10:30am start, being that the days are plenty long right now.
If you'd like to do a slightly different route on the last 1/2 mile, you could take the Boy scout / ranger route from Miller saddle to summit. When you reach approx. 10.400ft. where the long, exposed trail / switchback goes from almost north, to a westerly heading, head up to the north, keeping the toe of the slope of your left. You will curve around this to the left (west), and probably be able to see remnants of the old trail. This heads directly to the summit (west), with wide-open views of San G and some of the desert below. It connects with main trail at the base of the large boulder field that is the summit. It's tougher to find the main trail on the return at Miller saddle, so you may want not want to return that way.

And, if your willing to scramble about 40 yards north, once on the summit, you'll get the dramatic views straight down the north face, aka Snow Creek, to the desert, (I 10, Whitewater Canyon, etc), about 9k vertical feet of loss in just a few horizontal miles. Enjoy the climb & peaceful forest, scott

Postby Ed » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:28 am

Taking the High Trail on the return also adds a little variety. Take the right at the signed fork a little beyond Round Valley. A little longer, but you have a relaxing walk on a fairly level and less used trail, until you meet the Willow Creek Trail and turn left down to the ranger station.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains