San Jacinto via Marion

General Palm Springs area.

San Jacinto via Marion

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Howdy All :)

Last Wednesday, Miracle Marilyn, Sister Sally and I hiked Marion to the peak. There was some snow on Marion but manageable. We donned microspikes/Hillsound at the Deer Springs junction and slogged our way along to the Fuller ridge junction. I have balance issues due to multiple spinal fusions and bad left ankle and right shoulder fractures. Even with poles I was bouncing all over the place :? It was a relief to reach the Fuller junction and actually start climbing again. The buckthorn is overgrown on both sides of the trail. Enjoyed getting back into the pine trees as we climbed past Bed Springs and Lilly stream crossings. Little Round Valley looked great with a white blanket. As SanJacJon noted, the climb up to the junction did not follow the trail. Even in dirt, I'm always happy to get to the flat area at the junction. Made our way up to San Jacinto -- it was quite breezy. Took summit photos, then dropped to the sheltered area to enjoy lunch.

As expected, the descent in the crappy snow wasn't pleasant. We had to extricate ourselves from knee and crotch high post holes numerous times. For me, the worst part was from the Fuller ridge junction to Marion junction. I couldn't maintain a steady pace :x My invective nearly peeled the bark off the trees :wink: I was ecstatic when we were back in dirt.

Thanks to Marilyn and Sally for hanging with me when I got cranky and developed Tourette's.

View from lunch spot.

View from peak.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: San Jacinto via Marion

Postby Ed » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am

Ellen,

I noted the balance issues and their sources. You have my deepest sympathy. Mine are due to a wobbly left knee, the result of a Macquet procedure in the 1980's. Kind of like walking on a leg and a half. Rather frustrating for someone who used to dance down talus slopes and move smoothly along knife-edge ridges. Also turned me into a solo hiker, since I cannot keep up with other people. Still, I was happy to be hiking at all, after two surgeries on each knee that did little or no good, and decades of being a semi-cripple in chronic pain.

I had an episode of Turette's syndrome nearly every time I had to put on my microspikes. I had the recommended size, but they were far too tight. I saw recently on the Kahtoola website that they think they fixed the problem by adding the pull tab on the heel. Not as far as I was concerned.
Ed

Re: San Jacinto via Marion

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Howdy Ed :)

You also have my utmost sympathy and respect. Chronic pain is dreadful and depressing. I am very happy and grateful that I can hike.

I haven't had great experiences with microspikes either. It was difficult to put them on and the rubber binding kept breaking. I'm using Hillsound running crampons now -- easier to get on and off and I haven't broken them yet :lol:

I haven't given up hope for a forum get together in Palm Springs -- perhaps by fall.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Ed wrote:
I noted the balance issues and their sources. You have my deepest sympathy. Mine are due to a wobbly left knee, the result of a Macquet procedure in the 1980's. Kind of like walking on a leg and a half. Rather frustrating for someone who used to dance down talus slopes and move smoothly along knife-edge ridges. Also turned me into a solo hiker, since I cannot keep up with other people. Still, I was happy to be hiking at all, after two surgeries on each knee that did little or no good, and decades of being a semi-cripple in chronic pain.

I had an episode of Turette's syndrome nearly every time I had to put on my microspikes. I had the recommended size, but they were far too tight. I saw recently on the Kahtoola website that they think they fixed the problem by adding the pull tab on the heel. Not as far as I was concerned.
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains