C2C conditions Early April 2021

General Palm Springs area.

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:28 pm

xcnuck,

Well, when I said 'makes perfect sense', I meant from a logical point of view. From a broader point of view, it is of course awesomely crazy, but I have no problems with that for people who know what they are doing.

I suspect SanJacJon will have another report within a few days. The safe thing to do would be to simply carry trekking poles and microspikes. But I can understand that with a plan like this you may be a little weight conscious.
Ed

Postby guest » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am

Hi Marcus,
Thanks for the addnlt. info, sounds like a hell of a hike, (something a couple guys that used to be on the board here would do, Steve & Fern, back in the day).
I doubt you'd want to hammer much in the beginning, (or at all on a trek like this), so I'd say your timing may be a little fast. I'd allow a good 5 hrs. to reach Long Valley after climbing to the peak, and probably 3-4hrs. min. to reach the valley floor. You may be an ultra runner, but 8k descent at approx. 1k ft. per mile will work you hard, (plus the 2,400 ft. of more gradual loss from summit).
Temps are hitting 100, and the night temps are climbing above 70 as well.

As mentioned here, SanJackJohn is probably the best source for conditions on the western side of the mtns. The stretch from Wellmans to the summit has tall brush that keeps the sun off it, but I wouldn't think that stretch would be too tough to follow in the day, but at night, possibly.

I'd probably aim at heading back up Skyline by 4 or 5am, unless your a true desert rat, (I believe your residing in San Diego), and plan on carrying a gallon on the climb, (which I'm sure ultra-runners would not do). That might work with fresh legs and no previous exertion on Skyline, but after the miles you'll have, probably not a good idea. Our grand master here on the board, (ha), used to smoke up Skyline sub 4 hrs. and carry less, maybe Perry can put in his advise here.
Keep us posted, we do enjoy seeing someone accomplish great treks like this, safely! scott

Postby xcnuck » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:35 pm

hey Scott - thanks for the advice!

the temps are looking very balmy for this weekend, with mountain forecast showing nothing even close to freezing on the summit. good news for the high elevation sections, bad news for the desert floor. given those time estimates, we're going to bump up our start time a couple hours so we start around 7:30pm sunset. I expect very few sections to be moving quickly due to the amount of load we will be carrying and the amount of time spent in the dark.

we most likely will be doing this in a supported fashion this time around, with some friends meeting us in Palm Springs for a quick re-supply. I'd be super interested in learning about previous successful completions of this route by Steve & Fern.

we'll be carrying microspikes and poles for the snowy parts - not sure if this is overkill but better to be safe than sorry

-Marcus
xcnuck

Postby Ed » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:02 am

Best of luck, Marcus. The forecasted Saturday night/Sunday temperatures at this time look reasonable, 66/88, for the usual pre-dawn start. But the rocks could be radiating stored-up heat from previous days.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Palm+Springs&state=CA&site=SGX&textField1=33.8303&textField2=-116.544#.YIwple2Sncs
Ed

Postby Florian » Sat May 01, 2021 5:37 am

Looking up from Palm Springs before dawn lots of headlamps visible along trail this morning. Looks like a busy day on Skyline.
Florian

Postby Ed » Sat May 01, 2021 6:42 am

Florian wrote:Looking up from Palm Springs before dawn lots of headlamps visible along trail this morning. Looks like a busy day on Skyline.

And a 98 degree day forecast. Hope nobody has to turn around. But with this many people on the trail, it seems likely some will. And now the forecast for tomorrow is blowing dust. Don't know how high dust storms go, perhaps others do.
Ed

Postby danpenksa » Sat May 01, 2021 7:47 am

Interested in peoples’ thoughts on the dust; I’m heading up early tomorrow am.
danpenksa

Postby Ellen » Sat May 01, 2021 11:41 am

Howdy Dan :)

The weather forecast for tomorrow (high wind warning) is similar to when Marilyn and I went up last Sunday. We finally got a breeze at Grubbs Notch :lol:

I went up Skyline with many other folks (including the Craigmeister) on a very windy day in spring 2012. Our hike was fine. When we got back to Palm Springs, there was a massive sand storm. Palm trees uprooted, electricity going on and off and periods of zero visibility. Driving home on the 111 was terrifying. Some of my friends saw a van go up on two wheels :shock: -- fortunately it recovered.

I don't think there will be a repeat tomorrow.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby danpenksa » Sat May 01, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks for the input as always, Ellen!
danpenksa

Postby Florian » Sat May 01, 2021 3:01 pm

danpenksa wrote:Interested in peoples’ thoughts on the dust; I’m heading up early tomorrow am.

Skyline can certainly be windy but generally no blowing dust nor sand as there are no dunes nor sandy washes nearby.
Florian

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains