C2C conditions Early April 2021

General Palm Springs area.

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby danpenksa » Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm

I went up and did a C2C yesterday. Started at 3:45; saw a good number of people on the trail (some of which were really cool folks, especially the 3 guys aged 61-63 who were CRUSHING it), and had a blast. It was a bit warm (was surprisingly warm at 8-9k feet), but wind wasn't a factor. View from the summit was beautiful! A great day!
danpenksa

Postby danpenksa » Mon May 03, 2021 12:31 pm

Thanks for all the information leading up to the hike :)
danpenksa

Postby Ellen » Mon May 03, 2021 6:23 pm

Howdy Dan :)

Congratulations!!! Miracle Marilyn, Pyrodude Dennis and I left a bit after 4:30 am. It was warmer than we expected (71 degrees) and the so-called wind never materialized :roll: My wheels fell off at the traverse and I was leaking oil :lol: . It took me around seven hours. This is the most I have suffered on Skyline this year :cry:  I hope to hike the full C2C (dessert-tram-peak-tram) this fall.

Thank you to David Stewart for giving us a ride back to the museum. Palm Springs was a zoo and the traffic on the 10 was dreadful. We skipped the Original Las Casuelas and went to In-and-Out burgers in Beaumont.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby xcnuck » Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Trip report is up from our double traverse of San Jacinto Peak. Idyllwild to the peak to Palm Springs back to the peak and back to Idyllwild.

TR: https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1649097
xcnuck

Postby Florian » Tue May 04, 2021 6:36 am

Great write-up! Sorry about the drinking fountain on Belardo not working.
Florian

Postby Ed » Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 am

Congratulations, Marcus. Quite an accomplishment. And a mountain lion sighting as well! Although if it had a truly bushy tail it may have been a wildcat. But in my experience a wildcat usually hisses at you. I certainly would not agonize over what is 'support'. Amazing how that concrete ramp to the tram station can be a downer for everybody, even when it is an infinitesimal fraction of the elevation gain.

A minor correction. I don't think that C2C is the hike with the greatest elevation gain in the contiguous US. Telescope Peak from Shorty's Well is more. Telescope Peak is about 11,045', Shorty's Well is about -250', and there can be a few hundred feet of down and up on the route. Since you seem to have done Telescope as a snow climb from the Charcoal Kilns, I am surprised you were not aware of the elevation gain when doing it from Shorty's Well.
Ed

Postby danpenksa » Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 am

Awesome write-up and incredible effort Marcus. Glad you posted the link here; I was wondering how it had gone for you. Super impressive; hell, I've been unable to break 17 hours doing a regular C2C2C and am completely and utterly broken upon finishing it (I'm not a "runner", but do make attempts like these in a fairly ultra lite style). My body generally holds up well up Skyline and back down to Grubb's, but that 8-9ish feet back down Skyline puts me deep into another place. 45 miles is incredible, nice work.
danpenksa

Postby xcnuck » Tue May 04, 2021 10:03 am

Florian wrote:Great write-up! Sorry about the drinking fountain on Belardo not working.

Thanks Florian. However, yes, the fountain situation was frustrating. I am going to write to the city of Palm Springs about it. This is a public health hazard.

Ed wrote:Congratulations, Marcus. Quite an accomplishment. And a mountain lion sighting as well! Although if it had a truly bushy tail it may have been a wildcat. But in my experience a wildcat usually hisses at you. I certainly would not agonize over what is 'support'. Amazing how that concrete ramp to the tram station can be a downer for everybody, even when it is an infinitesimal fraction of the elevation gain.

A minor correction. I don't think that C2C is the hike with the greatest elevation gain in the contiguous US. Telescope Peak from Shorty's Well is more. Telescope Peak is about 11,045', Shorty's Well is about -250', and there can be a few hundred feet of down and up on the route. Since you seem to have done Telescope as a snow climb from the Charcoal Kilns, I am surprised you were not aware of the elevation gain when doing it from Shorty's Well.

thanks Ed - yes I'm aware of the Shorty's Well route. C2C is the most elevation gain single trail (not route). there is no continuous trail to the summit of Telescope Peak from Shorty's, hence the differentiation.

@Dan - thanks, glad you enjoyed the write-up. It will be fun to see when the next attempt of this route will be. Maybe I'll have to do it from the Palm Springs side next time.
xcnuck

Postby Ed » Tue May 04, 2021 2:13 pm

Careless reading on my part, Marcus. I mentally substituted 'hike' for 'trail'.
Ed

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains