Snow Creek hike- is it okay to park at the power station?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Snow Creek hike- is it okay to park at the power station

Postby guest » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi Ed,
I think your correct re. the chutes approaching the summit. There's even a split much further down, (9k?). We took the right one high up, and encountered that section (ledge) of wind-blown ice, down climbed to the split, (causing mini avalanches), and slugged our way back up in deep snow to top out just left, (east) of summit.

I've heard others from way back stating it was common to walk right over the Chock Stone, as there was that much snow back then, and possibly avalanche debris from earlier. I remember most years being able to snow shoe from Tamarack right to Miller saddle, above 3-5 ft. chinquapin, now it's sporadic and iffy many years.

I never got to see those dogs, (luckily), but a mt. lion came and got one, (maybe not that badass one). Woody was pissed, (story goes), and set up a "posse" to hunt it down. Supposedly, they set up some bait, (or left the dead dog) to maybe ambush it if it returned. While they were out looking, lion came back, took his kill, (or bait), and split. Good luck tracking one of them in that country.

It's pretty easy to feel overwhelmed with a blood thirsty, dog in close range, (I've always thought what I would do). When I used to run I was training for Catalina marathon, got surrounded by 3 semi-wild dogs in upper Cat Cove, luckily there were a few rocks, but I had to constantly keep moving to face them and stand my ground.

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:15 pm

You had a memorable experience, Scott, not one I would like to have.

Perhaps the chockstone is a boulder that rolled down the mountain and became wedged in place in more recent times. Could have been covered with snow, but I checked the rainfall records. Downtown LA had only 7.22 inches of rain in the winter of 1975-76. That is dry even by today's standards. I am surprised in retrospect that we were doing a snow climb in early May, though there had been late-season storms. The avalanche danger was surely due to a deep layer of fresh snow over an older hard base.
Ed

Snow Creek

Postby Ellen » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:11 pm

Howdy Ed :)

I finally read Doug's Snow Creek poem to the tune of "I am the very model of a modern major-general" from Pirates of Penzance'" by Gilbert and Sullivan :lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely hilarious, thanks for sharing.

I have always had the utmost respect for you. I knew you were a mountaineering stud but HOLY COW :o Dislocating your shoulder and then getting out in 3 days via XC mountaineering routes :shock:

On a more personal note, you've always been a gentleman and a knight in shinning armor when I've made some bad decisions, thank you.

From the heart,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Thanks, Ellen. I was not being a gentleman, simply trying to inform an ignorant and insensitive person. Your decisions certainly are no worse than many I have made, as anyone who follows my posts can see. I am afraid that our least-favorite person is now running with the Sierra Peaks Section, pictured on p.5 below, if you can stand to look at it.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sites/www.sierraclub.org/files/sce/sierra-peaks-section/Newsletters/2021_v65-2_9MB.pdf

I have had no contact with the old gang since 1979, after I had to drop out because of my knee injuries, and the section seems to now be quite different.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Howdy Ed :)

Ugh -- I recognized that name/face right away :roll:

I love this forum because it has many nice folks (such as you) who are happy to share beta. Perfect example -- the Skyline water discussion on another thread.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains