Need recommendations for a good trail for an overnight

General Palm Springs area.

Need recommendations for a good trail for an overnight

Postby Hotfootedhiker » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:14 am

Good morning guys I’m looking for a trail roughly 6-10 long for an overnight with water hopefully nearby. I’ve been backpacking San Gorgonio wilderness for over 20 years and need to change it up for whole whole the wilder is still closed
Hotfootedhiker

Re: Need recommendations for a good trail for an overnight

Postby zippetydude » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:18 pm

I just love LIttle Round Valley. You can get there from several trailheads, so you get to pick your poison, as it were. Marion is my favorite, but it is painfully steep the first two miles. In any case, at LRV you have a water source, a beautiful meadow, and easy access to the peak Mt. San Jacinto.

You can always go over to Wildhorse, which is across Hwy 38 from the San G Wilderness. Again, there's a water source, and again, there's access to a peak (Sugarloaf) nearby.

As a third alternative, there's no water source this year (Palm Springs has had 0.6 inches of rain this season as compared with their norm of a little over 5 inches) but you can go up the PCT at Snow Creek. This is a beautiful trail with beautiful views. You can camp around 4 or 5 miles up - there is a beautiful hanging valley at about 6 or 7 miles, and make it an out and back.

That's all I've got for you! Hope one of those turns out to be fun! LMK!

z
zippetydude

Re: Need recommendations for a good trail for an overnight

Postby Hotfootedhiker » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:10 pm

Thanks for the information. I’ll be looking at all of the options. Ironically I’ve never camped at Wild Horse camp but I’ve been up to Sugar Loaf.
73’s
Matt
Hotfootedhiker

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains