Tramshoe March 18

General Palm Springs area.

Tramshoe March 18

Postby Ellen » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Howdy All :)

Sally, Marilyn and I did our first tramshoe of the year yesterday. Donned snowshoes at the ranger station and quickly started making new tracks. After some route finding, we found the Sid Davis drainage and took it to Tamarack valley. The snow was consolidated and not icy but did not completely cover the chinqaupin :? At the base of the Miller saddle, we opted to head up through the snow covered brush rather than going up through the forest to join the trail at about 10 K.

After what seemed like an eternity of climbing and shrubaneering, we intersected the trail (with Jon Kings snowshoe track) near the Miller switchback. We wanted to go to the peak (I love the winter route from Miller saddle) but it was after 12 noon. We weren't sure how long it would take us to get back down and the last tram down was at 6 pm. We opted to call it and ate lunch at the base of Miller peak. Made it back before 4 PM and had a nice chat with ranger Bill before ascending the dreaded concrete switchbacks.

We hope to get back and summit San Jacinto before the snow gets too lousy.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Tramshoe March 18

Postby Ed » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 pm

Never saw the term 'shrubaneering' before. I love it. If you invented it, Ellen, thanks for your literary contribution.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains