Parking for 74 to Palm Canyon

General Palm Springs area.

Parking for 74 to Palm Canyon

Postby pdforeme » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Hi, while i have a car shuttle, and I know where the southern (74) end of the trail is.....what's the parking like? That is, can i park my car near and then retrieve it later, or is parking blocked and/or a high theft zone?

thanks
Desert Rat since 1957
pdforeme

Re: Parking for 74 to Palm Canyon

Postby guest » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:13 am

Hi pdforeme,
You may have already done your hike, but in case not, here's some info.
As you know, the trail begins at the end of Pine View Rd, which is only a couple hundred yards long and dead ends, (cul-de-sac). No homes or anything, but I'm imagine if a car was left for the day, it would be fine. If you parked at the end it's not visible from Hwy 74, so overnight might not be ideal. As you probably know, on google maps, bottom right, you can drag the little yellow man-figure on top of the area you want to see. Of course you could park around Sugarloaf cafe & fire sta, but then you'd have a ways to go to trailhead.

Once, we had friends who came up from the Trading Post on the same day we went down, and we swapped keys, to save driving back for the car.
I believe there's a split after the trail begins leaving the ridge, in the 1st 2-3 miles, then connects again a couple miles down stream, (to avoid some heavy brush, I think, but I can't remember well). There are mt. bikers that do this trail, that may know more updated info. I'd imagine there's water somewhere along the way, (even w little water this season), plus, take the time to leave the trail & hike over to Palm Canyon for several nice, small waterfalls, (if running). Cheers, scott

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains