Skyline trail conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Skyline trail conditions

Postby ShawnBot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy All :)

...We started about 5 am -- Shawn and friend may be the hikers that passed us before the picnic tables...

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

I thought we saw someone in the rocks ;) Glad you had a good hike.
ShawnBot

Postby Ed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:39 pm

Some people who went up last weekend, and should not have done.

https://rmru.org/2021/03/13/2021-010/
Ed

Postby Ellen » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:27 am

Howdy Ed :)

Thanks for the link to the Skyline rescue. Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and I did our first tramshoe of the year yesterday. The Long Valley rangers told us about the rescue :o

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby drndr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:45 pm

I have always wished every rescue had a detailed write up from those that were rescued. A great example is Ellen's when she stayed in the SanJac hut.

D
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby Sally » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 pm

I agree with you, drndr. Detailed writeups are very educational (and are not meant to humiliate the rescuees). When Ellen, Marilyn, and I did a snowshoe from the tram on Thursday it was very sobering to hear about the rescue. Although we were hoping to make it to San Jacinto Peak, we made it to Miller Saddle/Peak and called it. We were tired and it was turn-around time as the last tram down is 6:00. As I told the ranger when we returned, we didn't want to be the folks that missed the tram and needed looking for. We got down with time to spare but that was just fine with us!
Sally

Postby Ellen » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:06 pm

Howdy All 8)

Hiked up Skyline with Marilyn, Dennis and Tracy yesterday. We had good beta on the snow conditions of the traverse and the climb from Coffman's up to Grubbs Notch. As confirmed Skyline addicts, we were itching to go but wanted to be safe. Started about 5 am --it was 65 degrees and humid. Fortunately, the temperature and humidity dropped as we ascended.

Some IDIOT is spray painting red dots, arrows and smiley faces on rocks all the way up to 4 K :x :x :x

At Florian's point, we met a nice trail running couple who were descending (round trip Skyline). They confirmed the snow conditions. Patches of snow started at Flatrock. We stopped to don our traction devices shortly before reaching the traverse. A male trail runner shot by us without a word :? Dennis lead us on the traverse and Tracy swept. Thanks to the new snow, there was a good/deep boot track, unlike our last three Skylines. I used Hillsound running crampons and hiking poles. Marilyn had micros and hiking poles. Dennis and Tracy used crampons and had ice-axes. While following Dennis up one of the switchbacks past the Thank you Jesus rocks, I nearly got mowed down by the male trail runner who was descending. He certainly lacked trail etiquette :o and apparently didn't have the right footwear/gear :lol:

The snow was soft in places which resulted in occasional slipping, especially as we ascended from Coffman's crag. The route in the snow now nearly follows the summer trail 8) It's always a relief to get to Grubbs. Took the first available tram down and struggled with our smart phones to get an Uber or Lyft ride :? Passed on Las Casuelas when my iPhone map app and indicated a 1.5 hour drive to Riverside. We did stop for In-an-Out in Cabazon -- we were starving :lol: Discovered the west bound 60 was closed for "emergency road work," so the 10 was a mess.

I'll try to post some pictures.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Ellen

Postby Ed » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:05 pm

What a desecration, someone painting the rocks again.

I have always been able to make a cell phone connection from the second floor balcony, a window seat in the cafeteria dining area, or the tram car on the descent.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Howdy All :)

I hiked Skyline again yesterday with Marilyn and Dennis. Absolutely fabulous weather. There was no discernible snow melt on the traverse since last Saturday -- we were grateful to have our poles and traction devices.

My fast friend Doug passed us at 5 K and we shared a cab with Doug back to museum. I tried Uber but they wanted between $40-80 dollars :shock: Enjoyed a fabulous meal at Las Casuelas and a normal drive home.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby danpenksa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:37 pm

Awesome to hear everyone getting out and thank you for sharing the reports. Let us know the conditions if anyone gets out this weekend :)

Dan
danpenksa

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains