Skyline trail conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline trail conditions

Postby AndyC » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:45 pm

I hiked up Skyline on Feb 19 from Palm Springs to the tram. I encountered patchy snow starting at 6000ft and continuous snow starting at 7200ft, just before the traverse. I used micro spikes and trekking poles and I was fine. I didn’t posthole very much when I was on the trail, but as soon as I got off the trail, I was postholing. Snow depth was about 16 inches. I heard from the ranger at Round Valley that a female hiker had to be rescued with a helicopter before the snow line on Thursday 2/18.
AndyC

Re: Skyline trail conditions

Postby Florian » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:39 am

Yes, a woman was rescued the first day tram reopened. Apparently she got to the snow and couldn't continue.
Florian

Postby ShawnBot » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:44 am

Went up yesterday with a friend to the tram. Snow is melting fast, but still quite a bit from Traverse on. Technically wouldn't have needed spikes (saw a friend without them) but recommended for most. Tracks in snow wander a bit off trail sometimes, so it helps to know where the trail is...

UPDATED: My FAQs page for C2C based on changes in reservations, tram road gate, etc.
https://cactustoclouds.com/2020/03/15/c ... hike-faqs/
ShawnBot

Postby Florian » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 am

ShawnBot, that's a very good FAQ. Thanks for sharing.
Florian

Postby Ed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:16 am

Yes, good FAQ. Though I am not so sure calorie and water consumption are proportional to time on trail, which means speed. Does a slower person consume more calories and water? I am not an expert on these matters, but I am not so sure. Certainly I am slow and never consumed either the calories or the water indicated by the per hour rules of thumb given. I tend to think body size is the main determinant of calorie consumption, and temperature and body size the main determinants of water consumption, for a given hike. For water, I started out carrying 5+ quarts of water, but found that my normal consumption was 3-4 quarts, depending on temperature, sometimes as low as 2.5, and never above 4. Drinking a bottle of Gatorade on the drive to the trailhead, to stock up. I am slow, old, and average body size for a man of my age. Admittedly, I avoided hot days, but hiked the trail on quite a few days when valley highs were in the low 90's. Which I did not find particularly hot, starting 1.5 hours before sunrise.

Regarding trekking poles and microspikes, I would advise always carrying them, whenever there is any snow on the trail. You may not need them, but you do not want to be in a situation where you do and don't have them. Of course regulars have the experience and judgement to make their own decisions hike by hike. But they are not the people who seek advice on the web.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Howdy All :)

I hiked up Skyline yesterday with Miracle Marilyn after reading Andy's post on Friday's conditions. it was a beautiful day with perfect weather. We started about 5 am -- Shawn and friend may be the hikers that passed us before the picnic tables. We were anxious since it's been a while, so kept a moderate pace. We definitely needed spikes and poles -- the traverse was icy and boot track(s) didn't follow the actual trail. Took us much longer on the traverse due to caution and route finding. Reached Grubbs in 8 hours. It was wonderful to visit with Tram Tim and Ray. Tim noted that the previous warm days followed by strong winds had iced everything up. Looking forward to many more Skylines and hopefully getting in better shape :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby zippetydude » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 am

Hi everybody! Thanks for the up to date info on Skyline. I'll probably go up Friday morning. Think I'll bring the microspikes given the conditions. Hope to run into some hikin' fools again over the next few weeks now that the tram is running again. :D

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:19 pm

Howdy All :)

Hiked Skyline again yesterday Feb 28 with friends. The traverse is still challenging and icy. We definitely needed poles and microspikes. A hiker who passed us on the way up turned around at the traverse due to the conditions -- he didn't have poles or traction. We passed a group of 8 above Flatrock --one hiker was resting in the middle of the trail. Hopefully they reached the tram or turned around.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Hike Skyline trail

Postby BigGameSlayer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks for the information. Anyone interested in joining me on Sunday, March 14 for a hike to the Tram on Skyline? Thank you.
BigGameSlayer

Postby ShawnBot » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi there. Did anyone go up this weekend? Curious how conditions were before latest storm (today)?
ShawnBot

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains