Skyline Hikers be in Shape

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline Hikers be in Shape

Postby RMRUpete » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:02 pm

RMRU has had 2 rescues in the past 4 days on the Skyline, one near death. With no Tramway running at night if we had to have to hiked up from the bottom the subject might not have made it. Not sure on the last one since CHP did a pick up before we got there. Read the lasted missions on our WEB SITE: RMRU.ORG

RMRU wants everyone to get out and hike and enjoy the out of doors, but be ready for the conditions. As you can see on the WEB we have been as busy as ever, heading towards breaking last years record of 65 mission. We are also posting Trainings and Fun Trips on the WEB now under the TEAM heading. Also are newsletters are on the WEB. Latest Newsletter has RMRUPETE getting to the 50 years on the team last May. Be Safe and Enjoy the out of door. Pete
How can I be lost if I don't care where I am?
RMRU member 50 years
RMRUpete

Re: Skyline Hikers be in Shape

Postby Ellen » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Howdy RMRU Pete :)

Thanks for rescuing the Skyliners. I went up on Saturday with friends. Started in shorts and T-shirt. It started to rain at about 4 K and the weather kept deteriorating as we ascended (which we expected). By the time we reached the tram, I was in long pants, wool long sleeved shirt, down sweater, rain jacket, fleece hat and mittens. Fortunately, our group was good at route finding -- we picked up other hikers along the way. The traverse was especially difficult to navigate -- there was no boot track due to snow, wind, deadfall, etc.

For those reading this who don't know me, RMRU saved my life on San Jacinto following a snowshoeing misadventure in early February 2008. I love these folks and my San Jacinto mountain family.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Skyline Hikers be in Shape

Postby Ed » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks for the report, Pete. And for your 50 years of service with RMRU. I read the SAR reports. It never ceases to amaze me how unprepared people can be on Skyline. When Ellen reports difficulties, it is difficult, nor is it surprising, given recent weather.

I also read the interview with you in the newsletter, which rang a few bells. Like you, my first self-arrest training was with the Sierra Club's Basic Mountaineering Training Course. But in 1971 and on the north side of San Gorgonio, not Baldy Bowl. The weather was cold and gray that day, and the instruction was excellent and rigorous. A year or so later, I was receiving instruction again, on Mt. Rainier from chief guide Lou Whittaker. For younger members of this board, Lou Whittaker was the twin brother of Jim Whittaker, the first American to summit Everest. Lou was about 6'6" and built like a Greek god. His instruction seemed like low-level fun-in-the-snow compared to the Sierra Club instruction. I guess he saw signs of my opinion, and decided to teach me a lesson. While he talked to the group to distract me, he sidled up to me, planted a gigantic leg downhill, and knocked me backwards over it with a gigantic arm. Took me by surprise, but I made a good quick self-arrest, thanks to my BMTC training. I think he was disappointed. Still, you can never be too good at self-arrest, and there always seem to be situations where even a high level of skill may not be enough.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains