S. Lyken loop

General Palm Springs area.

S. Lyken loop

Postby drndr » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Can you use Camino Camelita to Avenida Moraga to get to S. Lyken trail. Then head north and exit Mesquite? Or better yet start at Mesquite? Was wanting to make this a smaller loop. I see it on a map but was wondering if it is private property.

D
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Re: S. Lyken loop

Postby guest » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 am

Hi D,
Yes, you should be able to hit Moraga at the Ship of the Desert, (famous, long house w porthole), where you veer left. You may hit a fence at the last house, (unless their attempting development further up), where the trail drops down left into a wash for a bit, before climbing out, onto the old dirt road by the old brick water tank. The road ends after 1/4 mile and the single-track climbs up on the right (west), then to the only jct, where you head right / west to climb up to the S. Lykken. If you head straight at the jct. you'll head down into the small community at south end of The Mesa area, where you began.
This is also the area where The Desert Riders park is located, (I believe it's city owned), where you get nice city views, but even better for watching the full moon come up. Trivia; it's right above Barry Manilow's home, and the beginning of the trail is a couple blks south of Sonny Bono's former home.
ss

Postby drndr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:57 am

Thank you. Next time I'm in town I'll try that way. Or just do the whole trail and walk back to the car along the road. We just ended up parking on Mesquite and hiking up to Josie Johnson Vista and coming back the same way. A much nicer trail than I had expected. I was expecting something like the Museum trail and didn't want to come back down something that rough.

I see on google maps theres a gate at the end of Moraga at the last house. It looks like I could dip to the left right at the gate and bypass private property and get to the water tower. I think thats what you meant.

D
drndr

Postby Florian » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:36 am

I access that part of the Lykken from Camino Descanso. There is a dirt area to park. From there you pick up trail in the creek (dry) adjacent.
Florian

Postby drndr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:39 am

Ahh. I see that on the map. The same little trail off the end of Moraga. Those dirt lots aren't part of anyones driveways? I'd probably still park down off Palm Canyon somewhere since I wanted to do a loop.

Florian, were you out there yesterday morning on S. Lyken? I've ran into you a couple times on Skyline a few years ago and thought after I passed it may have been you.

D
drndr

Postby Florian » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:40 am

I've parked on Descanso quite a few times over the years and never had a problem. Someone must own the dirt but it's not anyone's driveway and not in front of a house. I was up the Lykken from Mesquite on Wednesday!
Florian

Postby drndr » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:49 am

Well then it was me who said " Isnt it a little early to be drinking beer on the trail" :D . Nice to run into you and glad people are out there policing the grounds!!
drndr

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains