Passing of Mountain Goat

General Palm Springs area.

Passing of Mountain Goat

Postby pato » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm sad to report the passing of my cousin and friend, Mountain Goat. Many of you knew of his posts here. His name was Berne.

He was a mountaineer of the highest caliber, achieving more repeat summits in California than anyone could count. Modest, self-effacing, kind, sympathetic, wise. And a powerhouse of a climber. He loved San Jacinto above all other mountains. A year ago March, he guided me up the Skyline Trail over 8 or 9 long, patient hours. Ten years older than me, he could have run backwards up that mountain. But he knew my capabilities and he took his time. Never once rushing me. Only supportive, reassuring and humorous.

The next time you're on our trail, in the place he loved so much, please wish him well.
pato

Re: Passing of Mountain Goat

Postby Dunning Kruger » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:26 pm

"He loved San Jacinto above all". A wise man indeed. Condolences.
Dunning Kruger

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Pato, I am so sorry :cry: :cry: :cry: I had the pleasure of hiking with Bernie serval times, always on San Jacinto. Keeping you and his other loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.
Ellen

Postby Sally » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:46 pm

My condolences, pato. Meeting “Mountain Goat” on the summit of San Jacinto was one of the most memorable of all my many summits. It was a weekday and I figured I would be all by myself at the Peak as I usually hiked weekdays. As I was rummaging through my trail lunch Berne’s head popped up over the side, and I welcomed him to sit on the rock next to me. He recognized me from the San J Board and introduced himself. We shared snacks (yeah, better days when it was safe to do so) and bantered about hiking and life in general. I am so sorry that I will not have the chance to have that experience again, but grateful that I had the experience. One of the most amazingly fabulous things about hiking is the people you meet while out in the middle of the wilderness!
Sally

Postby zippetydude » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 am

Hi Pat. I'm so sorry. I sit here trying to post, but somehow words fail me. I think perhaps a conversation in person with my friend would not. Starbucks? Cat's Cave? Skyline? Say the word.

I can be there in an hour.

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains