Skyline/C2C 10/23-10/25 - trail conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Skyline/C2C 10/23-10/25 - trail conditions?

Postby guest » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 am

Hey friends,
Now that the San Jac state park is open, there should be permits available outside the ranger station.
Thanks for the update Nikolai, hopefully some of the old trail is still there, (you may have just followed what is now the new route). I have heard there are more downed trees higher up.
No need to filter at ranger sta, (although the water there isn't the tastiest, (maybe because of the cedar tank), and it sounds like you could get water at the Round valley jct. If CCC crew is camped on the other side of the meadow, like this summer, flow could be almost nothing, but only if there showering or filling up things, (as they run a long hose from that spigot at RV jct.

I realize some have already descending Skyline, but I really don't recommend it, as it's steeper than you think, it's 10 miles of almost constant pounding, (route finding in spots can be tougher than going up, and you need to start with a good amount of weight for the water). Also easier to get injured, imho. But, I'm sure there's some out there & on here that are ok with it.
If you are doing part of this climb in the dark, (like most), please know your way to avoid false trails, and remember some of the "fools white dots" on trail are not even accurate in areas.
I haven't spoke with the tram yet re. how there handling folks that hiked in. For one, your temp may be taken, (& you could show a higher reading after Skyline or C2C), and you may have to wait a while until they have room, (I've heard they're only allowing like 12-15 / car to start).
Be safe, enjoy the climb, scott

Postby danpenksa » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 am

Nikolai and Scott - thanks for the feedback - definitely helpful. I agree, coming down Skyline is a pounding, but "fun" in its own right!
danpenksa

Postby guest » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:18 am

Just spoke with the tram, here the beta I got:
1st come 1st served for rides down, still $13. for one way, purchased at mt. sta gift shop, (could be a wait, since the limited # of "seats")
Cars only holding 12 pax
Running every 20 min. Fri-Mon, I believe starting at 8am everyday
LAST CAR DOWN, 6pm! for those of you C2C'ers
Annual pass-holders have to call ahead to hopefully get the 2 seats held on each car
Since the local counties just went up a notch of what we're allowed to do, (thxs :(, the facilities at the top are closed, (you can buy pre-packaged food, but most everything re-closed.
SS

Postby drndr » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:52 am

Does the pre-packaged food include a beer?
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby danpenksa » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:34 am

Just wanted to drop in and say I haven't been able to make it up yet, but hope to relatively soon and will report back when I do go up.
danpenksa

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains