Skyline/C2C 10/23-10/25 - trail conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline/C2C 10/23-10/25 - trail conditions?

Postby danpenksa » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:34 am

Hi all!

I've done C2C2C twice before, but not in two past years. Looks like Skyline is back open (correct me if I'm wrong) and weather this weekend looking favorable. Looking to potentially do it either Friday, Sat, or Sunday...Has anyone been up since it's been back open that would be willing to comment on trail condition; I've heard that the trail is pretty washed out/hard to follow near Coffman, so I'd be interested to hear about that and the rest of the trail in general, as I'm familiar with the route, but don't know it like the back of my hand like some of the folks on here ;)

Thanks for the beta!

Dan
danpenksa

Re: Skyline/C2C 10/23-10/25 - trail conditions?

Postby guest » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi Dan, I haven't been on Skyline since last fall almost, and there were some areas overgrown, but now, most likely from 2-4,500ft. it will be a bit challenging.
If you go up & would like to do all of us & the trail a favor, try & stay on the old, original trail, (many areas are all but gone), which is the one with deep ruts, and usually switches back & forth more than the newer areas of short cuts. If we lose most of the old trail, it will be a tougher, more easily washed out & damaged trail that most will find a lot less enjoyable, and eventually, sections will become so bad, it will get like the last few hundred vertical past Coffman's, where's there's so many options, it's hard to see what was the real one.
Cheers for being able to come down Skyline, your a better man, (have more pain tolerant quads :) than me.
scott

Postby danpenksa » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Scott-

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look to stay on the old trail; I'm definitely not interested in short cuts or veering off the intended trail and totally understand your concern. Hopefully it's discernable enough that I can follow the intended trail without too much trouble. When I last did it in April 2018, the last few hundred past Coffman's that you mention were definitely challenging from a route-finding perspective; I definitely wasn't on the "real" trail. As far as coming down Skyline, it was painful both times; an odd kind of "fun."

If anyone else has any additional/recent info, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Dan
danpenksa

Postby drndr » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:43 am

Have fun and update us when you complete it. It's my time of year too!

D
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby Ed » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:43 am

Look forward to your report, Dan. Don't know how you take the pain coming down, I always was amazed and impressed when I met people coming down.

The first few times I went up Skyline, I had more problems with the trail immediately above the base of Coffman's than the final few hundred feet. The trail seemed to move right without ascending, when the true trail goes up through some rocks, where it is not very visible, before turning right. Another thing I had to learn was to not go up the gully, at somewhere between 4300-5000', beyond what some call the Enchanted Forest. Even with Doreen's rock barrier there, I would sometimes step over it without thinking, instead of following the true trail that swings to the right and then to the left. Had to learn to look for the rock barrier. I've seen more people go up the gully than take the trail, with the top of the gully becoming more and more eroded over time. And above there the trail splits for a while, ascending a ridge. I think the true trail is the one that goes down to the left, then ascends, rather than the one that goes up to the right, then descends, to where they meet on a saddle. Most people seem to take the second way. I've timed both, can't see much difference.
Ed

Postby futbol » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Since early this year I had planned to hike C2C for the first time, but now more likely C2C2C since I don't want find a way from the bottom of the tram to the library, where I will be parked. Plus, the tram might not even be running.

I'd like to go when it is relatively cool, with almost a full moon. Planning on heading up in the dark.

My main concern is water. I plan to start with 10L.

Is there a reliable water source this time of year? The faucet at the ranger station?

Do you write yourself a permit at the ranger station?
futbol

Postby danpenksa » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:37 pm

I haven't been up in two years, but both times I have been there I've filled in the restroom at the Ranger Station without issue. Seems the Ranger Station is open and the bathroom potentially would be too. Today's report at SanJacJon.com says water is flowing in Round Valley (see bolded text below from the report). I cannot personally verify that either of these water options are viable right now, but looking like they are. There is NO water anywhere below the Ranger Station that I'm aware of, and would be extremely surprised if there were.

The Round Valley pipe is flowing. Flow has periodically been redirected to the CCC/ACE camp in Long Valley and water pressure can be insufficient to also flow at the pipe (currently there is no maintenance crew camped in Long Valley). The nearby Round Valley creek dried up in early August. The small creek in Tamarack Valley also dried up in August.

When I went up in 2016 you had to go into the Ranger Station, speak to the rangers, and have them issue a permit. When I went in 2018 there was a permit application outside the ranger station that I filled out and it looks like that is the current process.

Hopefully someone can chime in if I'm off on anything here.
danpenksa

Postby futbol » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks Dan for this useful info.

I'm aware of two rescue boxes on the trail up skyline, but I won't rely on them. If I have enough water on the way down I'll drop some bottles in them.

Figured most creeks would be dried up this time of year, but I'll bring my filtration system just in case.
futbol

Postby danpenksa » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:42 pm

Yeh, definitely don't rely on those two boxes - only intended for absolute emergencies.

As far as filtration, I personally wouldn't bring it on account of saving weight, unless you had something super light like a Sawyer screw on filter, but that's just me...
danpenksa

Postby Nikolai » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:01 pm

I went up and down on a C2C2C some 10 days ago on 10 October and the trail was fine
except for a few more trees to climb over. No problems with route finding at Coffman's crag.
On the way up I didn't see any one but on the way down I encountered
one person. Judging by the footprints however there must have been some
traffic on the trail. Hope that helps.

Nikolai
Nikolai

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains