Day Hiking Permits Required Again, Sep 1

General Palm Springs area.

Day Hiking Permits Required Again, Sep 1

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:19 pm

The Desert Sun reports that the USFS is reinstating the permit requirement as of Sep. 1, 2020.

More solitude ahead.

The news people today never get the whole story. Why did the USFS ever stop requiring permits? The reporters never found out and probably never even asked. It was an accident. They happen.

The permits and the permit checkers are a pain sometimes, but the permits and checkers are important to managing and protecting the wilderness and solitude.
Wildhorse

Re: Day Hiking Permits Required Again, Sep 1

Postby drndr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:17 pm

The most people I've ever seen on the trails is 100 and that was during an event (bikini clad college students) on Baldy. I've never been a fan of permits. Let the people explore the wilderness at will. At least day hikers.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby RichardK » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:13 am

I was on Baldy when one of those bikini and Speedo hikes took place. At first, I thought that I needed to ease up on the drinking, but they just kept coming, wave after wave. Later, I found out that it was an annual event by some nearby college students.
RichardK

Postby drndr » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:50 pm

"Let the people explore the wilderness at will. At least day hikers." I should have added "at least dayhikers in bikinis and speedos". I hear there is also a nude hiking day. No permits on those days either.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains