Miller Peak photo help?

General Palm Springs area.

Miller Peak photo help?

Postby robpollard » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:49 pm

Okay, so I took my boys up last week. From the tram we went in and spent the night at Round Valley, then hiked up San Jacinto the next day, and took a little side trip to Miller Peak on the way down. It was a fun detour, with the bonus of getting a picture of the plaque on top. What I didn't get was a nice shot of the 'summit block' (small though it may be) on top. If someone has a good shot of it they'd be willing to share, so that I could add it to the boys scrap book, I'd appreciate it. Maybe it would be a good excuse for someone to amble over there on their next trip? Many thanks in advance.

Here are some of the shots I did get while I was up there:
http://tinyurl.com/q2syo

Rob
robpollard

Postby Dan-oh » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:40 pm

Sorry Rob, I'm no help with a photo.

Now tell us, did you really lug 20 lbs (2.5gal x 8lbs/gal) of water to Round Valley?
Dang, you are a mad-man! If you don't want to shell out for a filter, Micropur and PotableAgua are mere ounces.
Dan-oh

Postby robpollard » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:29 pm

Good catch, but no, I have to admit, I didn't haul the water. I took that container up empty to have something to keep water in at the campsite (I have a Sweetwater filter). I looked at REI, Sports Chalet, and Sports Authority for a nifty collapsable water jug, and didn't find anything I liked. That was empty in my garage and fit the bill nicely.
robpollard

SJ Summit sign cracked

Postby Snowhiker » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:50 pm

In the pictures from the link above the SJ Summit sign is cracked. I don't remember it being cracked. What's up? Thanks.
Snowhiker

Postby AlanK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:44 pm

The SJ summit sign has been cracked the last couple of times we were up there -- last December and this May. If you tilt it correctly, the parts line up and it looks fine. It does need some repair, though.
AlanK

Postby robpollard » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Honest, it was cracked when we got there, we didn't do it :)
robpollard

Postby Snowhiker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:02 pm

AlanK wrote:The SJ summit sign has been cracked the last couple of times we were up there -- last December and this May. If you tilt it correctly, the parts line up and it looks fine. It does need some repair, though.

Maybe that's it. Thanks.
Snowhiker

pk rock

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:37 pm

Hi Rob,
I am usually do San Jac once a week, do you want a shot of the "highest rock" close to the sign?

ss

Postby robpollard » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:58 pm

SS,
Thanks for replying. After reading your post, I went back and read my original post, and realized it may have been a little confusing. What I was after was a shot of the block at the summit of Miller Peak. I don't know if you've been up there before, but there is about a 10' high block with a couple of plaques at the top. My boys had a great time scrambling up to the top, it gave them quite a sense of accomplishment, and I wanted a shot of the last bit of the climb up to the block for them to remember it by. The peak itself is a short detour from the last switch back up the trail up from Wellman Divide.

I don't know if that is out of your way (its a fun detour, the view down to the north east is pretty good), but if you do head over that way, that would be great.

Thanks again. Have fun up there.

Rob
robpollard

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains