Overnight wilderness camping

General Palm Springs area.

Overnight wilderness camping

Postby TvZ » Thu May 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Can anyone please tell me the if overnight wilderness camping is allowed in Mt San Jacinto in the State Park or adjoining US Forest areas? And, is it true that the Humber Park parking lot is open? Is it open for overnight parking?

Thank you.
TvZ

Re: Overnight wilderness camping

Postby Florian » Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi TvZ. Humber Park parking is open last i heard. Not sure re any restrictions on overnight parking. I've heard they are not checking for Adventure Passes for parking. I think the mtns are technically closed to all overnight camping as you can't get a camping permit with ranger stations closed. Idyllwild residents would prefer visitors stay away.
Florian

Postby pkirkham » Fri May 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Humber is open and so are the trails for day use....not sure about overnight stays. Normally, car camping in Humber is frowned upon but people do it, mainly climbers. If you keep it on the down low you're probably OK. I live in Idy and went up to the peak on Wednesday. We saw a few people with camping backpacks but didn't ask them if they had a permit or where they were staying. I have an overnight permit, for Tahquitz meadows area, for Memorial weekend that I got in February, before the madness hit. Am planning on still going!! Haven't seen a ranger in ages. Also, there's plenty of water up there with snow above 9K.
pkirkham

Postby Tin Cup » Fri May 15, 2020 7:53 pm

I called the ranger station and overnight trips are closed in the state park . You can day hike though.
Tin Cup

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains