Current Accessibility into Martinez Canyon

General Palm Springs area.

Current Accessibility into Martinez Canyon

Postby Wolfdog77 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 am

Good Morning,

Although it is too hot to do a hike now into this area, I was wondering if anyone knew of an accessible route into Martinez Canyon. About 10 years ago, accessibility was provided at the southern terminus of Lemon Blossom Lane to where a jeep trail would head up the mouth of the canyon in southwesterly direction. That jeep trail would terminate at the trailhead to the Martinez Canyon/Cactus Springs trail about a half mile downstream from the Agua Alta and Martinez Canyon confluence. However, upon recent observation in driving to the southern terminus of Lemon Blossom Lane, I found this entry point now blocked by private gates. There is another entry point originally used back in the 70s at the Avenue 66 and Jackson Street bend and is now chained off and barricaded by road block berms. I also observed a dirt road heading south of Avenue 66 (southernmost portion of Van Buren) onto privately owned agricultural land (Latin Lady Ranch?) with private road/no trespassing signs at the entrance, so that access is definitely not available without permission/consent from the landowner (if granted?). Anyhow, if anyone knows what the current accessibility (with or without permission from landowners) is into Martinez Canyon, if any, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jon Braginton
Wolfdog77

Re: Current Accessibility into Martinez Canyon

Postby pkirkham » Tue May 12, 2020 2:33 pm

I have visited Martinez Canyon a couple of times the last few years. Both times I accessed it from Van Buren St. We drove straight across Avenue 66 at the junction onto the dirt ranch road. We kept heading south thru the ranch with no problems. Eventually you crest a berm and then keep going south on the dirt road into the desert. Any workers we saw just smiled and waved at us and we did the same back. We got an early start so we really didn't see that many people out there.
If you check this link this was my actual route that I submitted to trail Project.
https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/705 ... nez-canyon
Beware, depending upon the year and season the road south turns very sandy and/or rocky in places so 4WD and/or high clearance vehicles are recommended.
Good kluck!!
pkirkham

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue May 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Here is alink that might help - from the Sierra Club HPS
http://www.hundredpeaks.org/guides/30c.htm
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Wolfdog77 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Drove to the southern terminus of Van Buren (south of Ave. 66) this morning which consists of two dirt roads parallel to each other bordering agricultural farmland. Ends up with a locked gate at the end. No access into Martinez anymore. Would now have to hike an additional 4 miles in to trailhead. In my opinion, I would not even consider parking and leaving my vehicle at the gate to hike up the jeep trail; too much of a gamble.
Attachments
20200516_101902mc.jpg
Wolfdog77

Postby Wolfdog77 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:37 pm

I would also have to think that with all the illegal trash dumping, occurring in this area, including other canyons to the southeast, that this might have attributed to closing off of access into these canyons.
Wolfdog77

Postby pkirkham » Tue May 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Wow, what a change in just under two years!! Did you check whether it was hard locked or dummy locked? Maybe there's some "authority" that this gate closure can be appealed to?
pkirkham

Postby Wolfdog77 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:30 pm

Went back this morning to get confirmation. Gate is locked with lock heavily damaged from being shot at. Side gate on adjacent berm has illegal entry around gate to gain access to Martinez Canyon jeep trail, which must be troubling to local agricultural landowners along with all the illegal trash dumping. Does anyone know out there if the BLM will be able to reopen the jeep trail anytime soon? Or, are they lacking funding to monitor and patrol the jeep trail? Nonetheless, Martinez Canyon jeep trail closed indefinitely for time-being.
Attachments
Side Entry 05-20-20.jpg
Adjacent Side Gate
Locked Gate 05-29-20.jpg
Locked Gate
Wolfdog77

Postby pkirkham » Thu May 21, 2020 10:48 am

I have been thinking more about this access issue. Maybe the BLM closed the gate along with the other trail closures due to Covid-19. Maybe they will reopen it when all the other trails in the area are reopened?
One could possibly try and call/email the local BLM office responsible for the area to get an answer on this.
pkirkham

Postby Wolfdog77 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 am

Could be a point to that. I remember when driving up the jeep trail back in 80s and 90s and coming across remnants of large occupant camp parties with large bonfire rings, vehicle tracks all over, and discarded trash. I doubt the jeep trail will be reopened anytime soon as the BLM, with limited staffing/funding, has not and may not be able to patrol Martinez as evident of all the illegal off-road activity as seen on google earth in wilderness designated areas (other than the designated jeep trail). Hopefully, that will change with more funding so that all can enjoy Martinez .
Wolfdog77

Postby pdforeme » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:14 am

Pondering a March attempt into Martinez; has anyone tried recently? thanks
Desert Rat since 1957
pdforeme

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains