No trailhead parking

General Palm Springs area.

No trailhead parking

Postby Florian » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:20 am

As of today parking at trailheads in Palm Springs, all of Riverside county actually, is verboten. Trails remain open, at least most of them, but you have to walk to them from home. And wear a face mask or bandana, no group hikes, maintain physical distancing.
Florian

Re: No trailhead parking

Postby Florian » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:12 am

Link to the order on county website. Page 2, section i .. https://www.rivcoph.org/Portals/0/Docum ... 124645.pdf
Florian

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:22 pm

They grasp at straws -wearing masks.

La County closed all trails a few weeks ago. I have stayed away since February 16, knowing that social distancing is impossible on narrow trails, even while also knowing that mass social distancing (lockdowns) lacks empirical evidence for effectiveness.

The goverments do not know what else to do. They shoot in the dark.

Masks are especially problematic - maybe good, maybe bad.

I know doctors, workers on the front line, who hike, take this chance. No masks. They know that all we really have is uncertainty. And desperate governmental figures, with guns drawn.
Wildhorse

Postby Ed » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:23 pm

The intent is clear, I suspect enforcement will be a problem. Since many trails do not have a dedicated parking area. The BumpNGrind in Palm Desert is terrible for social distancing, but people can park in the shopping center and walk to it. And probably will. I can't see their cars being cited or towed, the entire trail will have to be closed, at every entry point. For Dunn Road, which is quite safe, you park on a neighborhood street. Law enforcement can make a good guess that a parked car is a hiker's, but they can't be sure. Law enforcement will have fun finding out where the 'trailheads' are; it is difficult enough for the hikers. But I guess they can nail you in the end by asking you for your driver's license.

We have been walking in the evening in the Palm Desert Civic Center Park, which is about as safe as it can be. Certainly far more so than a supermarket. Looks like it will be shut down as well.
Ed

Postby RichardK » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 am

Wildhorse wrote:knowing that mass social distancing (lockdowns) lacks empirical evidence for effectiveness.

How about this?

https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1 ... ing-works/
RichardK

Postby Wildhorse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am

I assume that the health directors have seen this chart, which is what the governments ideally hope to achieve. Undoubtedly they have also studied the epidemiological research as well. It is the latter that causes reason to believe lockdowns have not been effective. They work in theory, with a very high rate of compliance, but the actual level of compliance is typically much lower. Washington Post published a simplified model that demonstrates what happens. The Cochrane Library includes analyses of research.

I have heard cops have been stopping people in Anza who were driving to the San Jacintos to hike. Has anyone else heard of this?

Ed, where you are walking sounds really nice. In the LA area, even wide trails have been closed. The rationale varies among jurisdictions. Problems keeping public toilets sanitized (imagine that.). Fear that some people would hike in groups. Unsafe conditions for rangers.

I am biking more these days. When biking in in uncrowded areas, it is generally easy to avoid other people. I have also seen much noncompliance, not among bikers, but among walkers and people gathering on streets and at home. The safety net is torn open in many places.

Recently, some models have indicated that the virus began spreading much earlier than previously thought and that we could already be near halfway to herd immunity. I hope that is true.
Wildhorse

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:05 am

I now have two alternatives under the new rules. I can hike the BumpNGrind, which is definitely unsafe, but legal for me, because I can walk to it from my house. Or I can drive to Dunn Road, which is definitely safe, but illegal for me, because I do not live in that area.

I do have considerable sympathy for the people who have to come up with the rules, and understand that the rules do not fit everyone. But it would have made more sense I think to consider leaving roads open to hikers.
Ed

Postby Wildhorse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:32 am

Desert Sun quotes a spokesperson for County health as saying they don’t even want people to jog around the block. They want everyone indoors (in front of a tv or computer awaiting further orders.)

RivCo health appears to suffer from psychosis. They cannot govern effectively in that condition.

Across the street, a mobile exercise company truck stopped. Two masked men took some equipment inside the house. An essential business, I presume.

Absurdities are multiplying.

LATimes has a scathing article criticizing Newsom’s new health corps. A big confidence crisis seems to be emerging, as the bell tolls.
Wildhorse

Postby Florian » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:14 am

Sign on Lykken trail in Palm Springs says all PS trails are now closed. However i can't find an official notice on the city's website.
Attachments
trailsign.jpg
Florian

Postby phydeux » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 am

FWIW: Here's what's going on in neighboring Orange County. (The County has part of the Santa Ana Mountains in its boarders, but that's still open according to the USDA):

https://www.ocgov.com/news/displaynews? ... 5,76,77,78

Of note is the last line in the first bullet pointed paragraph:

To ensure appropriate social distancing and reduce places of gathering, County park closures will include: parking lots at all County beaches, regional and wilderness parks; parking spaces at all trailheads; parking along Black Star Canyon Road; pedestrian access points at Thousand Steps, Table Rock, West, Camel Point and Treasure Island beaches; playgrounds; exercise equipment; shelters and trailheads. Passive walk-through pedestrian, cycling, and equestrian activity is permitted.

Hike all you want, just maintain some space between you and others.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains