PCT Hiker Died Near Mountain Center

General Palm Springs area.

PCT Hiker Died Near Mountain Center

Postby Wildhorse » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:43 pm

A Desert Sun article provides only a few details. Rescuers arrived too late to save an injured hiker near Mountain Center. Presumably that means on the Desert Divide or near Tahquitz.

I have been thinking that hiking the PCT this year would be a pleasant way to avoid the virus and the related panic and lockdown. Just dreaming. I would rather die hiking in the mountain home.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/lo ... 927163001/
Wildhorse

Re: PCT Hiker Died Near Mountain Center

Postby Florian » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 am

Per a reliable source... Hiker was at front of a group of four crossing icy snow NE side of Apache Pk. Lost footing and fell couple hundred feet. Not wearing traction.
Florian

Postby SoCalJim » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm

The PCT Association has advised thru hikers not to proceed with their plans at this time due to the coronavirus pandemic. They cite the risk of spreading the virus, but also talk about likely difficulties with resupply options. I would think that the risk of disease spread is low. However, if someone were to become infected along the way and fell ill while in a remote area, then called for a rescue... I know that SAR teams would not appreciate the risk they'd be asked to assume. Just not a great time to be taking on a venture like hiking from Mexico to Canada.
SoCalJim

Postby Plante » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 am

I saw the Saturday afternoon rescue from Oswit Canyon. I don't know the mountain name, but if you're facing straight into the canyon it's at about 10 o'clock. There's still snow on its north face.
Plante

Postby Florian » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Plante wrote:I don't know the mountain name, but if you're facing straight into the canyon it's at about 10 o'clock. There's still snow on its north face.

That's Apache Peak.
Florian

Postby Plante » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks!
Plante

Postby Florian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am

Well written article regarding the hiker by his dad. So sad .. https://thetrek.co/pacific-crest-trail/ ... nal-trail/
Florian

Postby Ed » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:08 pm

What a tragedy. It does not take much snow on trails to make carrying microspikes the default. You turn a corner, and there is a patch of slippery snow across the trail on a steep slope. I think Southern California is more treacherous in some ways than the Sierras.
Ed

Postby pkirkham » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:19 pm

Apparently the deceased was going to pick up microspikes/crampons and an ice ax in Idyllwild. Most thru hikers we speak to in Idy have no idea there can be potential snow/icy spots that they will have to navigate south of town, even with San Jac Jon's excellent (almost) daily updates. I met the group he was with a few days earlier on the PCT south of Hwy 74. I tried to warn them of incoming weather and the post by the PCT Association regarding hikers leave their thru hikes due to the virus and associated problems. The main reply, besides wide grins and knowing nods, was "Canada or bust".
Sad, sad, sad!!!
pkirkham

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:39 am

I know little about PCT hikers. But I have the impression that many are weight-conscious and lightly-equipped; that many are inexperienced when they set out from the Mexican border; and that many underestimate the snow and weather problems that can occur in springtime Southern California.

I wonder if this storm will bring another tragedy.
Ed

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains