RMRU Report

General Palm Springs area.

RMRU Report

Postby Ed » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 am

RMRU has a glitzy new web interface. One report from 2020, dated January 11. A tragic event with a very curt report. Titled 'Grubbs Notch', but the elevation cited, around 7,500', suggests Skyline. No information on snow conditions, equipment, knowledge of the trail, experience.

https://rmru.org/2020/03/20/2020-001/

Hope there is a more complete report later. I know there is a desire to spare the sensitivities of family and other loved ones, but I think informing people is a basic part of prevention. Was anyone up there around that time?

A pair of high-school classmates who are SAR people in Plumas County forwarded to me a message from the state branch of the Mountain Rescue Association. The message said there is an increase in wilderness activity due to the lockdown on other activities, and a corresponding increase in SAR operations. Requested wilderness users to be more careful than normal, since an SAR operation can be a mechanism for spreading the virus.
Ed

Re: RMRU Report

Postby Sally » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 pm

I read an article from Inyo forest district that suggested that outdoors people refrain from dangerous high risk activities during this Corona Virus outbreak. This puts our SAR members in even more danger than they are already are. Besides the risk of the rescue operation itself, it puts them in a situation that social distancing is not an option. Also, resources are more valuable than ever now, and rescues are a strain on resources. I'm debating going for a local dirt hike tomorrow, but I am sadly retiring my crampons and ice ax for the season.
Sally

Postby cynthia23 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Agree with you 100 percent Sally. This is SO NOT THE TIME for a risky or difficult hike. If you are injured, EMT personnel must attend to you instead of people sick with the COVID-19 virus, and by interacting with EMTs and then going to an emergency room, you put yourself at real and significant risk of contracting this unpredictable and dangerous virus in these settings.

Additionally, this is not the time for going on busy/narrow trails where it is difficult to get quickly off trail in the event you need to cross or pass other hikers. Icelandic study out yesterday shows that fully 50% of people testing positive were completely asymptomatic. Multiple other studies indicate that asymptomatic positives are shedding the virus quite vigorously. That fit, healthy trail runner loping two or three feet away from you may well be exhaling COVID-19 viral particles in the respiratory droplets in his exhalations, and you are inhaling them.

This is a good time to stay at home and safely explore quiet local trails or low-risk local cross country routes. Yesterday I explored some 'uninteresting' washes I had never previously bothered to check out and found some cool things. Always keep at least six feet between yourself and other hikers at all times. If those options aren't available, hill runs or stair climbing. If those aren't available, jump rope, the best work out of all. This is not the time to bag Obscure Killer Peak 212 or do Death March 2020, and needless to say, it is not the time to do Skyline or Snow Creek.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby RMRUpete » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 pm

Just Posted 10 missions from March 1 thru April 6. Take a look at the new WEB Site. Lots of interesting missions and photos. New Misssion are 2020-009 thru 2020-019. Be safe out there.
How can I be lost if I don't care where I am?
RMRU member 50 years
RMRUpete

Postby Sally » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Thank you, RMRUpete for posting the link to the hair-raising rescue reports of recent missions. It is a riveting read that makes me so grateful for the happy endings, but so sad when the outcomes don’t end up well. You dedicated guys and gals are truly heros! By the way, was the gentleman Roy ever located?
Sally

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue May 12, 2020 4:29 pm

The full RMRU North Face of San Jacinto rescue
https://rmru.org/2020/04/24/2020-020/
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains