Spring Forum Potluck?

General Palm Springs area.

Spring Forum Potluck?

Postby Ellen » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Howdy All :)

It's been a while since we've had a potluck and I'd love to catch up with folks, especially those who aren't on Facebook (Ed and Arocknoid for starters). We also missed Hiking Jim and Hiking Joyce) at our last get together :cry:

For those with kids/spring break, etc. what would be a good Saturday or Sunday in March or April? Grandmaster Perry started this forum, so obviously I defer to his dates. Perry -- I can't believe how much Lily has grown since I saw you, Crystal and Lily at our last potluck.

Last time we met at a nice park in Palm Springs in the early afternoon. Sister Sally usually makes chili, Hiking Jim whips up magnificent dishes with his hiking stoves, I bake homemade whole wheat bread and chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, etc. As I'm typing, I think that corn bread may go better with chili.

This forum is my favorite social media site. There are less posts and trip reports here, probably due to the explosion of Facebook hiking groups. However, this forum and mountain are "home."

Who's on?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Spring Forum Potluck?

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:12 pm

Count me in! I miss y'all on the board and your posts too. If not for this forum I would still be a lonely solo hiker. I will try to post TRs more often, I promise. (Please stick with your whole wheat bread, Ellen...it is the best and goes just fine with chili.)
Sally

Postby Ed » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:44 am

Can't name a date at which I can attend, but I will certainly try to make it. Probably the earlier the better.
Ed

Postby Sally » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm

I wonder if it would be an inconvenience to have the potluck in Idyllwild or Long Valley at the top of the tram. I really enjoyed the Long Valley potlucks, but if it was a hardship because of cost would Idyllwild work for anybody? I think there is a park in Idy.
Sally

Postby Perry » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 am

If it was tomorrow we would go. Next weekend: probably. But after coronavirus hits, I think we'll be reclusive until the dust settles and more is known.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:50 pm

I will be out of town the last couple of weeks of March but I'm thinking April will be open for me.

BTW, long-time friends, if you'd like to join me in one (or more) of my Meetup trips I'd love to have you with us. Just look up Zip's Trips on Meet Up and you'll see the zany trips I have been putting together, or click the link if you prefer.

https://www.meetup.com/Zips-Trips-Unexp ... wn-Places/

In any case, I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope to see you all soon!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ed » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Regarding Perry's comments, I watched the Palm Springs news and Saturday Night Live last night. The PS news covered the cancellation of a music festival in Austin quite thoroughly, but made no mention of Coachella. But SNL connected Coachella and the corona virus! Made me wonder if we have a Jaws-type media/business/government establishment here.

And what about the tram? Since I have retired, I have been remarkably free of flu and similar stuff. But I do tend to have a winter cough triggered by dry, cold air. If you hear of someone being chucked out the tram car by the other passengers, it could be me.
Ed

Postby Wildhorse » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:47 pm

The tram and the tram stations do seem like perfect environment for transmission of coronavirus, and influenza.

Ed, I don’t get the jaws analogy. I am sure it is amusing so I wish I did.

Coughing in public seems certain to result in social distancing in the new environment. Starting a few days ago, I have noticed most people trying to stay six feet apart at least.
Wildhorse

Postby Ed » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Wildhorse,

Denial by the local establishment played a big role in the movie.

The national media are now reporting that the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals may be postponed to October. I've not seen it on the local news yet. They have reported that the tennis tournament was canceled, I think on the first day. Surely an economic disaster for many people in the Coachella Valley area. I suspect there will be a tram shutdown, sooner or later.
Ed

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes, it seems true. I exchanged emails with PS mayor’s office and Ruiz’s office last week. Both seemed in a daze, especially Ruiz. The mayor’s office was scared and feeling powerless. Ruiz seemed disconnected from reality.

Now hopelessness appears to be spreading as fast as the virus.
Wildhorse

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains