Hiking March 4th, would appreciate a partner

General Palm Springs area.

Hiking March 4th, would appreciate a partner

Postby ahmerrow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:18 am

Hey all, I'm planning on doing the cactus to clouds hike on Wednesday, March 4th (weather permitting, obviously) and was wondering if anyone else is planning on going up on that day. I'm equipped well enough to go solo (2 days food/clothes, inreach gps, blanket, first aid, etc) but know very well that having a partner improves safety. Anyone heading up that day? I was thinking a 3 am start time.
ahmerrow

Re: Hiking March 4th, would appreciate a partner

Postby zippetydude » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:47 am

Hi ahmerrow. Welcome to the message board. This is a friendly and helpful board, but hardly anyone goes up mid-week. You'll probably have the trail to yourself. If you don't mind moving your days, there are normally numerous people going up Saturday and you'd likely run into plenty of people along the way to make the trip safer and more fun. Best wishes to you!

z
zippetydude

Postby ahmerrow » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Thanks Z - I was really just putting out a feeler. I have the opportunity to do the hike because I'm between two work trips - Fontana Mon-Tues and Phoenix Fri-Sun. I unfortunately can't move to the weekend. As is, I may have to go Thursday due to rain in Fontana on Sunday pushing the Fontana stuff late. Going Thursday would also likely cause me to forego hiking from the base and instead opt for taking the tram up to do a shorter hike.
ahmerrow

Postby Ellen » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Howdy ahmerrow :)

As Z-dude noted, most people go up on weekends. I'll be heading up this Sunday with Pyrodude. There's a chance we'll get new snow on the traverse (as we did last Saturday). This can affect route finding, even for experienced Skyline addicts. Fortunately, if there is new snow, it's likely that someone will put in the route before next Thursday. Don't rule out Skyline to the tram next Thursday.

I recommend having traction devices such as Micropikes or Hillsounds as the traverse can get icy due to melting/refreezing. Also recommend trekking poles.

I'll post a TR on Monday.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby ahmerrow » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks Ellen, I appreciate it! I do have hillsounds and poles. Out of an overabundance of caution I also have an ice axe. I look forward to seeing your post on Monday.
ahmerrow

Postby Ellen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:02 pm

Howdy All :)

Hiked up Skyline yesterday with Pyrodude and Miracle Marilyn. It was a gorgeous day. I was in shorts and t-shirt up to the traverse, where the wind was howling with the incoming storm. We donned microsdpikes, additional clothing, gloves/mittens, etc. and continued up. The boot track in the snow was well-defined. As we headed up from Coffman's, it started snowing and the route became icier.

This afternoon, there's at least several inches of new snow in Long Valley. This means the traverse will have new snow on top of old, icy snow and that the route will need to be broken in again.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby ahmerrow » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:52 pm

Hiked today. Turned around at rescue 1 because I wasn't feeling it.
I did however take the tram up and got to the peak!

I and 2 others summited today, one who started behind me on the tram and passed me, one who completed the skyline trail and caught up to me just before the summit. He said conditions on the traverse were treacherous. The hiker who passed me had to break trail from Wellman's onward, and we both missed that trail junction by turning north too early so there are a lot of confusing tracks in the area now. Both a more direct route to the summit and the traditional trail have been tracked by us. Deep snow up top so snowshoes still probably a good idea. None of us had them and we would have saved time if we did.
ahmerrow

Postby Ellen » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:28 pm

Howdy ahmerrow :)

Thanks for the update on the conditions of the Skyline traverse and summit 8) After new snowfall, I generally wait for younger, stronger folks to break in the route from the traverse to Grubbs Notch :lol:

Hopefully we'll get a lot of new snow when the next system moves through -- I'd love to break out my snowshoes again for a tramshoe.

Miles of Smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains