Snow creek conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Just noticed the track didn't record down the "Big Bench" to Falls Creek. That section is pretty straightforward actually. I'll have a new and more accurate track recorded early next winter.
Dunning Kruger

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:42 pm

A couple of pics.
Attachments
20200318_165248.jpg
The Big Bench to Falls Creek.
20200318_165543.jpg
Down the ridge.
Dunning Kruger

Postby Dunning Kruger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:04 pm

I've had many trips up there- this should be the most complete and accurate track so far.

In confused terrain like this, it's helpful to convert the track to kmz and import to Google Earth as a "project" for real time orientation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q-_s8Z ... p=drivesdk
Dunning Kruger

Postby RevanTheDestroyer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm

I just got back from an attempt yesterday. Made it to the ithsmus, but the snow was much, much higher than the chockstone.
A lot of snow on the higher mountain from the recent storms, but it never came down low. Wasn’t worth the risk trying to go high up, and having unforeseen avie conditions, or getting cliffed out on a descent. Super bummed, this is my 2nd year with not prime conditions. Would be nice linking up with someone who has frequented the route, to hit it with the next time conditions come around
RevanTheDestroyer

Postby Dunning Kruger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:02 pm

This would be a terrible situation if someone were to ski or snowboard down and find themselves having to descend hundreds if not a thousand feet of icy boulders and slabs. Turning around would be just as bad.

Thanks for the report!
Dunning Kruger

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:09 pm

[urhttps://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/122006911/snow-creek-trail-san-jacintol]
Dunning Kruger

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:58 am

I read the 2020 comments. Good to see people treating this climb with respect, scouting it, and sharing information. I would be concerned about doing this climb after a storm lays in a fresh layer of snow following a dry period. Soft snow on hard snow without time to settle, consolidate and bond produces avalanche danger. And this route does avalanche. This route requires a high level of fitness, moderate mountaineering skills, and in recent years, thanks to our friends at the DWA, route finding skills. None of that does you any good if you are hit by an avalanche.
Ed

Postby zippetydude » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:43 pm

I remember Steve and Fernando used to do this route several times each winter. They came back one time with actual video of an avalanche taking place while they were there. It's tough to turn around when you've got your heart set on an adventure, but I'm glad to see people posting who make the correct call based upon conditions at the time. Smart choice.

z
zippetydude

Postby Dunning Kruger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:22 pm

My experience from doing routes on the North Face of Tahquitz is that the snow from this storm will take weeks of warm weather to consolidate. More snow fell than was forecast.
Dunning Kruger

Postby guest » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:05 pm

Good info here. With multiple layers, as mentioned, it can be a potentially dangerous climb. Hopefully the snow will meld together.
Zip, your right, I saw a video that Fernando took when he & Steve were about 8k ft., (if I remember), the avalanche lasted 3-4 minutes! They were wearing earbuds / music, but saw it happening and were able to quickly get to the far side of the chute, (not always an option).
Plus, there was lots of nasty debris coming with it. And the other potential risk can be the ice caves, (probably more in spring), that can form above the creek, sometimes 10+ ft. of space below the area being climbed.
If the winds have been blowing on the mtns, like they were below, plenty of ice has formed. If it's a nice "crusty" kind, traction can be good, if it's boilerplate hard, a fall would last a long way.
Remember, the last tram down, (if leaving the mt. that way), is now at 6pm, every evening, (until further notice).

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains