Skyline Trail Trip report

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline Trail Trip report

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:46 am

https://www.facebook.com/mark.aguilar.3 ... __tn__=K-R

Mark Aguilar is at Palm Springs Aerial Tramway.
8 hrs · Palm Springs, CA ·
So I arrived at the museum Palm Springs started the hike at 5:30 this morning I don't usually start this late but I wanted to sleep and boy was parking hard to find You can't park in the covered parking early in the morning. So it's been about a 1 1/2 yrs since I've done skyline And Ellen remember when you did your 1st fall skyline this year and your in better shape than me this was a hard hike a very warm hard hike. So when I hike by myself after I get off the tram I like to walk back to the car to the museum so I had my flip flops with me But skyline was very warm today halfway up me and this lady were leapfrogging a couple times So we started talking I followed her I was beating myself up she had a great stride slow but perfect Steve & Ellen It was Patricia first time I ever met her but she knows everybody. We both have been to Everest Base Camp so we talked quite a long time about that it's kind of like we don't know each other so for the next 5 hours we talked about everything, she only stops on skyline only 3 times, I asked her don't you ever drink lol

Before we got to flat rock for lunch she stops before there she has her spot and I'm glad she stopped I was ready I needed something to eat. Patricia even said she was miserable for awhile.

At flat rock we stopped for a couple minutes and talked to the people that we passed and they passed us they asked if we have any extra water one guy was out, I brought up 100 ounces of water 2 coconut waters and a small red bull I had 1 coconut water and the red bull at lunch so I gave him my other coconut water it was 4 of them 2 of them was their 1st time, and he didn't even have a hat. After about 3 minutes we started again she has a spot up above what she takes another break but not this time we never stopped till we hit the top of skyline. Like I said she had a perfect pace slow but I didn't care.

Within 5 minutes of starting the trail I could feel the warm breeze I drank lots of water but a couple times I still got light headed I haven't hiked in 2 weeks. No big deal it went away, after an hour after flat rock we hit the trees and boy did it cool down fast very nice and cool up to the top. I took her to the short cut which she has done but not for a long time and she said she still didn't like it when you go over the rail that Diane showed me that way years ago.

My goal after the tram was to the walk back to the car but after finishing just before 2:00 p.m. in the heat of the day she offered to take me back to my car her and her partner live just 15 minutes from the museum her partner Bob or bill I can't remember set me straight Ellen he took the 1st tram up and went up to the summit and the met us inside the bottom tram terminal.

I told Patricia I would hike with her any time a very fit women. She does 5 skylines in the fall and 5 skylines in the Spring she just did Skyline Tuesday.

She talked about Fernando and Steve one time she was going up and Steve & Fernando were coming down And she asked him are you done already Steve said this is our 2nd time doing it.lol She talked about seeing Fernando doing it barefoot I think I saw him do it one time also. Those 2 were known as she said "animals" I haven't heard that for a long time but yeah I remember hearing that name for them.

For those of you who don't know what Skyline is you start at the bottom of Palm Springs and you hike up to the top of the tram 8000' elevation gain They have put skyline as one of the 10 hardest hikes in America.

Yep!! Today was a hard hike, but with good company.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Re: Skyline Trail Trip report

Postby Ed » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:37 pm

And a very different report on Skyline from RMRU:

https://www.rmru.org/missions/2019/2019-054.html
Ed

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:55 pm

The Park is looking for a Senior Park Aide on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Side -- Scroll down to Nov 8
-- https://www.facebook.com/Mt-San-Jacinto ... 248490815/

https://www.parks.ca.gov/jobs
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Good trip report, very honest!

Ed, although it was a real pain for the search team, your RMRU post made me chuckle--something about doing Skyline made this Marine decide it was time to quit everything?? Yeah, I think I know just how he felt!! :D
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:20 am

Ed wrote:And a very different report on Skyline from RMRU:

https://www.rmru.org/missions/2019/2019-054.html

That's pretty funny. I hope the SAR folks were laughing too but imagine some of them might have been upset. If he had been more strategic in faking his death, some of us on this message board would be searching for his remains on Mt. San Jacinto for the next several years while scratching our heads and discussing all sorts of possibilities. Maybe I would finally see a mountain lion. I've always wanted to see one in the wild.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 am

I sent the Missing Marine post to some friends, high school classmates who retired to Northern California, and are active in Plumas County SAR. At a recent high school class reunion we had a great time exchanging SAR stories, as well as having more serious discussions of the topic.

Perhaps I thought the Missing Marine post would top anything they could come up with. Here is Dale's reply:

'We’ve had a few like this, including one “missing” motorcyclist a couple of years back. There was a group of several who were traveling one of the scenic mountain routes from west to east. They were kinda strung out rather than riding as a tight group. When they stopped to stretch their legs at an overlook, they realized that one of the party wasn’t among them. After backtracking a bit with no contact, they decided that he must have gone over the side somewhere. The 911 call brought forth SAR folks from two counties, CalTrans, CHP, deputies, etc. Nobody had any luck finding him. Finally, there was a cell phone call to one of the riders … from the “missing” guy who was wondering why they were taking so long getting to the bar in Reno where they had planned to meet. Seems that he was the lead rider (apparently well ahead of the pack) and everybody kinda lost track of that little fact.'
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains