Ways Down Skyline/C2C other than Tram?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Ways Down Skyline/C2C other than Tram?

Postby Florian » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:00 am

Shortest trail from upper tram station to a paved road is Willow Creek trail to Humber Park via Saddle Junction. It's the trail just south of what shows on your map link. Shortest trail from SJ summit would be Marion Mtn trail but it's very steep. Easier would probably to go down via Saddle Jnk to Humber.
Florian

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 am

I am not sure I understand the context, Mike. As I think Perry, Florian and I have all said, the easiest hike down from the tram station is probably the Willow Creek Trail to Saddle Junction and then the Devil's Slide Trail to Humber Park, above Idyllwild. But why hike down, when the tram is running? Any hike down after doing Skyline is punishing, and few of us even consider doing it. There is Uber and regular taxi service from the lower tram station, and it is a short ride from there to either the Museum or Ramon Road trailhead. The only issue is cell phone connections. I have always been able to make a connection at the upper tram station from the second floor balcony or a window seat in the cafeteria, and never been able to make one from the lower tram station, but perhaps other people have different experiences.
Ed

Postby Sally » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 am

On occasion, tram employees have called to arrange taxi service for Ellen and me. I don't know if they did it because we are VIPs (ha ha, just kidding!) and I'm not sure if they really want to make a practice of providing this service, but you could give it a try if you can't get through to taxi or Uber with your phone.
Sally

Postby Ed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:07 am

Yes, on the few occasions when I want a taxi, I simply ask the gate attendant when I enter the waiting room at the upper tram station to call one. But there can be a mix up at the lower tram station over who called what taxi.
Ed

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains