Black Mountain Trail accessibility

General Palm Springs area.

Black Mountain Trail accessibility

Postby Wolfdog77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Good Evening All,

Due to the continued closure and construction repairs, I was wondering if anyone knew of how close you can drive up Hwy 243 before having to walk the last distance up the highway to the beginning of the Black Mountain Trailhead?
I heard that Hwy. 243 is open all the way up to Skyland Ranch Road where it is then closed immediately after that, near the straight-a-way at the 5,000 ft. elevation marker; I am wondering if this correct. If so, would anyone know if hikers can park at the Vista Grande Forest Service Station or other available areas to park off the highway? Black Mountain Trail is one of my most favorite hikes for sunset viewing for all seasons and am sure it is popular among others.

~Wolfdog~
Wolfdog77

Re: Black Mountain Trail accessibility

Postby Florian » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:17 am

Hi Wolfdog. What you describe is basically correct. The "hard" closure is just beyond Skyland maybe a half mile from the BM trailhead. Back in May i hiked the trail to the fire tower for season opening day. I didn't have any problem driving around the closure and parking at the trailhead. There is someone at the bottom of the hwy at Banning but if you tell him you have a camper at the Silent Valley RV Resort he should let you through.
Florian

Postby zippetydude » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:58 am

This is a very long closure and it must be killing the tourism industry in Idyllwild. Has anyone seen the damage that has caused this 6 month closure?

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:59 am

I have read that it has cut sales in half at some tourist restaurants and caused some businesses to fail. Some commuters have been unable to keep their jobs. Meanwhile, wilderness thrives ecologically, if only temporarily. Idyllwild is bad ecology. Much sadness on the mountain.
Wildhorse

Postby Ed » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 pm

SanJacJon's report from yesterday:

'Highway 243 just north of Pine Cove has apparently been experiencing some hard closures this week as part of ongoing roadwork. This may affect access to Black Mountain Road and Lake Fulmor during normal business hours for the remainder of this week.'
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains