Lily Rock and Suicide Rock

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Lily Rock and Suicide Rock

Postby Ed » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:21 am

Hope you like it, tekewin. I am quick to say I liked a book, slow to recommend it to others, as reading tastes vary so much. But Volumes 1 and 2 are mainly about growing up in Southern California and learning to love the mountains, easy topics for many people on this discussion board to relate to.

Robbins seems to have had a rather dry personality, which he comments on later when comparing himself to Yvon Chouinard. But he had a huge impact on climbing. There are now tons of books on rock climbing, many very specialized. In the 1970's, we had only one, a thin book by Robbins which covered the basics. He was noted for his belief that there was such a thing as climbing 'style', and that it was more important than simply making it to the top. One of those principles that we all violate at times, but that doesn't make them less valid. Very different from the bucket-list psychology so common today, for everything from Skyline to Everest. I also remember his commentary on the fierce debates raging in the 1970's on climbing equipment safety. His view was that we should not label a particular piece of equipment as 'safe' or 'unsafe'. The important thing was to understand its limits, and operate within them, or understand and accept the risks when we chose to exceed them.

I envy you, Wildhorse. My scrambling days are over.

This is the book about Ruth Dyer Mendhall:

https://www.amazon.com/Woman-Rocks-Mountaineering-Letters-Mendenhall/dp/1893343154
Ed

Postby tekewin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Wildhorse,

The area around Suicide looks like fun in all directions. Between Lily Rock and Southridge looks darn steep, maybe not so bad lower down closer to the trail.

Ed,

Loving the book so far. Robbins is candid about his rivalry with Warren Harding and grudging respect. Great stuff!
tekewin

Postby Ed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 am

$44 on Amazon? Hope you found it for less, tekewin. Amazing how the price soars when a book becomes out of print.
Ed

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains