South Ridge road

General Palm Springs area.

South Ridge road

Postby SoCalJim » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Looking at doing the South Ridge trail this coming weekend. I know the road is generally rough and the SBNF website says the road is washed out near the trailhead. I have a Mazda CX-5 AWD with ground clearance about the same as a Subaru Outback, so I feel okay about attempting it, but can anyone who's been up there recently provide any updates on the road condition?
SoCalJim

Re: South Ridge road

Postby barrelroll » Wed May 29, 2019 10:20 pm

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. The road is in pretty good condition, especially compared to how it's been in recent years. They say it's been graded, but I would only agree with that in the loosest terms. The majority of the road is smooth enough, nothing a vehicle with a moderate amount of clearance should have any trouble with. I drive a truck with 4wd and the only part I used it at all was right near the trail head. The road splits and the way going uphill toward the trail head had a muddy patch for about 15-20ft, maybe 6 inches deep at most. I didn't have any real trouble getting through it, but I can see how some people might. But again that was a couple weeks ago, there have been storms since then so the situation may have changed some.
barrelroll

Postby SoCalJim » Fri May 31, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks for the beta. I read on sanjacjon.com that the road was in pretty good shape in early May. I hope the recent rains haven't affected it too badly.
SoCalJim

Postby SoCalJim » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:44 pm

Checked out the road today. (Hiking the trail tomorrow.) It’s mostly dry, but heavily rutted in places. Had to get a head start to go up a short steep sandy bit even with AWD. At 0.9 miles (about 0.1 from the trailhead), there’s a muddy patch I didn’t attempt. You’d need 4WD with M/S tires to get through it. There’s a parking area just right of the muddy patch, so no problem to access the trail. I wouldn’t recommend anyone try it with a sedan right now unless you have a LOT of confidence in your driving skills.
SoCalJim

Postby Michael H » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 am

Hi, Jim. Was wondering if you could fill me in on how your hike up South Ridge went, conditions, etc.?

I'm thinking about heading up South Ridge and camping at Chinquapin. Then south on the PCT and descending Spitler Trail. Still gathering beta. Not sure about any water availability and where yet. Heard there is some ice near the top of the trail.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated--as always!

-Michael
Michael H

Postby Florian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:27 pm

Michael H wrote:I'm thinking about heading up South Ridge and camping at Chinquapin. Then south on the PCT and descending Spitler Trail. Still gathering beta.

I basically did this same hike last week from Humber Park. The traverse from Tahquitz to Chinquapin still has some snow but i have not hiked it personally. Note there is a large boulder fall just north of Antsell Rock blocking the PCT. It is passable with caution. I personally would not have attempted had i been alone but i was with an experienced hiker/climber that guided me around the obstacle. The Forest Service is considering closure of the trail until the obstacle is removed. See sanjacjon.com for info.
Florian

Postby Florian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Michael H wrote:Not sure about any water availability and where yet.

Lots of water in Tahquitz Valley and also upper Spitler trail just down from the PCT.
Florian

Postby SoCalJim » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Michael, the South Ridge trail to the lookout is in great shape. I was strongly warned against going past the lookout to the PCT junction by rangers I met on the trail. If you look at the topo map, tight contour lines in the section from the lookout to the PCT and about a 2400' slide down the slope if you lose your footing. I gathered that there's still snow and maybe ice on that stretch of trail and crampons/ice axe would be required. I know Florian's been in that area recently, but don't know if he was on the lookout to PCT section which would be the only sketchy part.
SoCalJim

Postby Ed » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:31 am

The latest from SanJacJon:

https://sanjacjon.com

'Tahquitz Peak trail from the PCT/ Chinquapin Flat [UPDATED 5th June] is almost completely clear of snow (enough to pass easily without microspikes). There are a couple of minor snow patches, but these have good steps in the soft snow.'

I would still carry trekking poles and microspikes, to be on the safe side.
Ed

Postby Michael H » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks, everyone! I'll keep my eye out for any updates on the PCT blockage around Antsell Rock. What a bummer! Been itching to do this trek for a while and looks like I'll be delayed again. As to water on Spitler, just off the PCT, is that coming from Cartridge Spring (so I know where to hunt for it)? Or is it farther down/east on the trail?

Thanks, again!

-Michael
Michael H

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains