No mountaineering skills: Summit options?

General Palm Springs area.

No mountaineering skills: Summit options?

Postby kay » Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for a full-day butt-kicking hike for this Saturday, preferably with some snow and a rewarding summit. I will be prepared (ie 10 essentials, bivvy) and have navigation skills, snowshoes, microspikes, and a hiking partner, but I do not have crampons or an ice axe.

I'm not too familiar with Mt. San Jacinto -- I've snowshoed to Wellman's Divide from the tram a couple of times but that's the extent of my experience there.

Do there exist routes that would be safe for me at this time of year? I think that the summit via Deer Springs would be an option; do y'all agree? Are there any other appropriate options? My reading so far has been here, at https://sanjacjon.com/ , and looking at the weather forecasts.

Thanks so much!
kay
kay

Re: No mountaineering skills: Summit options?

Postby Ellen » Thu May 23, 2019 11:12 am

Howdy Kay :)

SanJacJon provides the best reports of conditions.

The NWS service link for San Jacinto is: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... ObgZ8Lsacw
As of now, chance for new snow is lower on Saturday than Sunday 8)

I think you'll be fine with microspikes and poles provided you stay on the trail. Unfortunately, with the new snowfall, staying on the trail may be difficult. I like the Deer Springs trail route to the peak. Even if you don't reach San Jacinto, you'll have a beautiful and strenuous day. Consider leaving the snowshoes home -- I don't think you'll need them.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: No mountaineering skills: Summit options?

Postby Ed » Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 am

Ellen wrote:I like the Deer Springs trail route to the peak. Even if you don't reach San Jacinto, you'll have a beautiful and strenuous day.

Ellen,

Happy to hear you consider the Deer Springs Trail strenuous. The last time I did it, and the first time since the 1970's, I sat down at the turnoff to the peak; checked my watch; appraised my energy, and decided that this would not be a summit day. Returned by Wellman's Divide and the Strawberry Cienaga connection. Could not remember the Strawberry Cienaga connection, and was impressed by it.

I am also impressed that SanJacJon does this trail regularly during the winter as a day hike.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains