San Jac snow

General Palm Springs area.

San Jac snow

Postby pkirkham » Tue May 07, 2019 9:20 am

Did a quick little hike to the peak from Humber Park on Sunday May 5. Some snow in the Annie's Junction (PCT JUNCTION) forested area of the trail that may require microspikes, depending upon the time of day. Spikes are still recommended, mainly to prevent slippage on hard snow in the am and slushy stuff in the pm, from Wellman's Divide (9700') up to the peak. I would guestimate in about two weeks the peak trail will be almost completely melted out in this area.
A BIG thank you to the trail angel who found my phone on the trail and returned it to the State Park Ranger Station in Idy yesterday!!!
pkirkham

Re: San Jac snow

Postby Perry » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:47 pm

It's still spring conditions at the higher elevations. A lot of snow in some places. The lack of snow in Long Valley is deceiving.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby guest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks for the info pkirkham,

Will be heading up Devil's Slide Thurs, maybe hit fire lookout, before briefly hoping on PCT before heading sown Deer Springs.
Do we need an Adventure pass to park at Humber, or Deer Springs? I know, like permits, this issue has been back & forth.
I'm assuming I can get a permit outside of Idy ranger sta, if there not open, and self issue?

Btw, anyone hear anything re. a rescue at bottom of Falls Creek Sat afternoon, , CDF helo, Sherriff's & others, (couldn't find anything, yet, on RMRU's site).
A neighbor spoke to someone on scene & hears it was a couple who fell 50 ft.
I watched through binoc's, they hauled at least one to hospital on stretcher.
ss

Postby SoCalJim » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:15 pm

You're supposed to have an Adventure Pass for Humber Park. Not necessary for Deer Springs parking. Self issue for day permits at the ranger station. Re: the snow situation, I went up South Ridge to the lookout yesterday and ran into a couple of rangers along the way. When I mentioned that I might go as far as Chinquapin Flat (just south of Skunk Cabbage Meadow), one of them strenuously advised against going much past the lookout. He said there's still a lot of snow en route and the snow quality is crappy. He basically told me that if I tried it, I might lose my footing on an exposed slope and die. Yeah, he was a bit worked up about it, but I did go a short distance past the lookout and immediately saw a large snowbank almost overhanging the trail. Occasional patches of snow to walk through starting at 7650 feet on the South Ridge trail, often avoidable.
SoCalJim

Postby guest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks SoCalJim,
If, once we reach Saddle Jct. do attempt the lookout, we'd use the PCT, (as apposed to the other route through Tahquitz Valley, hoping it may be better than what you described, (hope I'm stating this correctly, long time since I've been there).
Hopefully what snow is NW of there & on Deer Springs, if much, is mostly avoidable.
scott

Postby Ed » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Don't think you can get from Saddle Junction to the Tahquitz Peak Fire Lookout without going through the snow the rangers were warning SoCalJim about. Though it may be melting rapidly.
Ed

Postby SoCalJim » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Ed’s right about the route and the snow between Saddle Junction and the lookout.
SoCalJim

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Went up to Wellmans on Sunday. Snow started just before the divide and it was, not surprisingly, very wet and slippery. Micros would have been sufficient. I can't imagine it being all that different a couple miles away. I know ss's thoughts on poles (ffwp :wink: ) but with micros and poles I think you'd be bulletproof. I had neither, and would have been content with just micros going on up to the peak. That being said, I slid all over the place the last couple hundred yards before Wellmans. Not dangerous there, but I would not have ventured anywhere with exposure. My 2 cents. :D

z
zippetydude

Postby Florian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 am

guest wrote:Do we need an Adventure pass to park at Humber, or Deer Springs? I know, like permits, this issue has been back & forth.

Need Adventure Pass for Humber. Also i understand via fire lookout network that the fine is now $160 for parking without a permit! (And even applies to fire lookouts now. We used to be exempt.) You can buy permit at FS ranger station (closed Wed and Thurs) or at Nomad Ventures (open 9a to 5p). Also i think Big-5 sells them.
Florian

Postby guest » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 am

Much appreciated guys. I'm sure this info will help others getting ready to head into the mtns. this summer.
Still hearing info that Hwy 243 is a long way from opening.
Thanks for the info on poles & micro's, will bring these, as I'm not big on sliding around, (funny Zip, only a few of us here know of the dreaded FFP's!!).
Thanks Florian on Adv pass, guess I'll bite the bullet & get the annual so I can have it for Vivian & other areas this summer.
I'll try & report back, as I'm hoping to do Devil's Slide to Strawberry Jct. & down Deer Springs.
scott
Last edited by guest on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains