Easter snow camp

General Palm Springs area.

Easter snow camp

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 am

Howdy All :)

Trip report by Sister Sally 8)

On Easter Sunday Ellen and I went on a hunt for the elusive San Jacinto Easter Bunny. We were able to board the 8:00 Palm Springs tram and checked in with the Long Valley Ranger Station for a backcountry permit. Our first objective was to see if the Easter Bunny was lurking on Jean Peak, so we headed up there. No Easter Bunny up there , but I had brought some “Robin’s Eggs” Easter candy to snack on and we decided to have dinner up there and spend the night. It was a lovely evening until the wind picked up and disrupted our sleep. On Earth Day, we slept in a while until it warmed up a bit. It was a little late when we emerged from our tents, so we scrapped our plans of exploring the area around Marion Mountain and other attractions. After breaking camp we headed towards San Jacinto Peak in snowshoes. After encountering several obstacles we got out of the snowshoes and gave it a try with microspikes. We were overwhelmed with joy to make it to the hut, but some strange weather system was moving in and we decided to hot-foot it down off the mountain instead of bagging San J Peak. The snow was funky and we made a few adjustments in our traction footwear. I was quite happy to make it back to Tamarack, and doubly elated when it started snowing lightly. (The weather forecast I had checked before the trip said that Monday would be sunny, oops). We took the Sid Davis Route back to the tram and took the next car down so we could scarf down a delicious meal at Las Casuealas.

Looking back towards San Jacinto as we're heading up to Jean.

View towards Marion from our camp site.

Sister Sally chilling at camp.

Shadow of San Jacinto over the Coachella valley at sunset.

Looking towards Marion at sunset.

Looking west at sunset.

Alpine glow over Marion.

Alpine glow over the Coachella valley.

Sunset.

Earth day morning view from our campsite.

As Sally noted, the wind really picked up on Sunday night. I also discovered that my Big Agnes Q-core had a leak, thus eliminating cushioning as well as insulation from the cold :roll: Thank goodness Sally had a Z-rest pad she was able to loan me. Her X-Ped mattress worked well, though she would have been more comfortable with the Z-rest and the X-Ped mattress.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Re: Easter snow camp

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:05 am

Sally's pictures:

Sunset on Jean peak.

Looking back at Jean as we're on our way to San Jacinto.

Starting down from the hut on the winter route.

Heading down from the Miller saddle to Tamarack.

Holy cow, it's snowing!

Note on snow quality -- snowshoes worked well on Easter, while microspikes worked best on Earth day. The snow was choppy, resulting in unstable footing in snowshoes on Monday :?

Miles of smiles,

Ellen
Ellen

Postby Sally » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 pm

That was fun...let's do it again! Thank you for posting all those pictures and my TR, Ellen!
Sally

Postby Myth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 am

Thank you for taking the time to write up and post these TRs. I love reading them!
Myth

Postby Ellen » Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks Myth 8)
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains