Tramshoe to Rockpile

General Palm Springs area.

Tramshoe to Rockpile

Postby Ellen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Howdy All :)

I’ve been wanting to snowshoe from the tram to Marion and “Mt St. Ellen’s” since my last trip in 2017. Yesterday, Kalen and I took the tram (our first trip up since the Valentine's day flood). After chatting with tram family, we headed up Sid Davis to Tamarack. Bernie (aka Mountain Goat) joined us in Tamarack. The three of us hiked together to the bottom of the Miller Saddle. Bernie headed up to San Jacinto, while Kalen and I went up near the Jean gully to the ridge. At Jean, I turned on my Gaia.

We dropped down from Jean and traversed around several bumps and Shirley. I didn’t want to miss the saddle between Marion and Mt. St. Ellen’s, so headed up too soon and visited several bumps on Marion. Dropped back down and traversed around the Marion summit block to the correct saddle, then headed up Mt. St. Ellen. Enjoyed the views, ate lunch, signed the register and made our way back to Jean. Stopped frequently to check Gaia. At last we climbed back up to Jean, then headed along the ridge to San Jacinto.

On San Jacinto, we met a large group that had hiked C2C :o including my friend Brent. Also met Alex who started later than the group and hung around with them at the summit. Alex descended with us via the winter route back to the tram. We took Alex and other C2Cer's back to their cars near the museum TH, then enjoyed a fabulous dinner with Alex at the original Las Casuelas.

Conditions -- booted it up from the tram to Tamarack and donned snowshoes when we started to break through the snow at upper Tamarack -- it was really warm. Used the snowshoes for the rest of our hike and removed then in Tamarack on our return. Sid Davis is a mess with deadfall, snow and running water. Still better than hiking the main trail.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Tramshoe to Rockpile

Postby guest » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks for TR & conditions update Ellen. You've put some tough miles on them legs in the last week or so, good on you!
ss

Postby Ellen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:09 pm

On Jean peak, looking towards our objective.

On one of the bumps near the Marion summit block, looking back at San Gorgonio. The little peak below San Gorgonio in the San Jacinto wilderness is Joyce peak.

Looking back from whence we came.

Looking toward the next bump.

Looking back from whence we came.

Finally! Looking at the Rockpile (aka Mt. St Ellen's).

At the highest point on the Rockpile looking back from whence we came. In the last photo, we're looking at Marion from the Rockpile.

As we headed back towards Jean, we traversed to the left of Marion, Shirley and several bumps. At this point, we traversed to the right and headed up to Jean.

Looking towards San Jacinto from Jean.

Looking from San Jacinto towards San Gorgonio.

At San Jacinto with Brent.

Looking toward the Salton Sea.

Looking back at Jean.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Mountaingoat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Ellen,

Thanks for posting, I sure enjoyed our encounter and especially the guidance and tamping down of the tracker me, but more so our conversation about your trips to the Alps with various friends!!

Hope to see you soon on the trail!

Berne Mettenleiter aka "Mountaingoat"

Will be heading up Skyline with a friend (Pat Olson) on May 4th.
Mountaingoat

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains