Skyline conditions April 3

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline conditions April 3

Postby Ellen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Howdy All :)

Based on good BETA from hiking friends, Marilyn, Cameron and I hiked up Skyline yesterday, This was our first Skyline hike since the horrific Valentine's day flood. The change in the lower part of Skyline due to the rain was amazing -- wildflowers galore. We donned microspikes at the traverse. Other Skyliners had left good footprints. When route was questionable, Cameron broke trail. It is so wonderful to have the tram open again :D Enjoyed a fabulous meal at the Original Las Casuelas before heading home.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Skyline conditions April 3

Postby pato » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 am

Great to hear, Ellen! Based on what you saw, what's your best guess as to when the Traverse will be free of snow and ice?
pato

Re: Skyline conditions April 5

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:15 am

Went up again yesterday (April 5) with Sister Sally, Cameron and Kalen.

The route in snow is easy to follow from beginning of traverse to Coffman’s. From there, it’s a mess requiring knowledge of the summer route and cross country travel. Some footprints attempt to follow the summer trail, others go straight up to Grubbs. With the warm temperatures this upcoming week, snow will melt and the route from Coffman's to Grubbs will be clearer.

Note to self -- don't hike two Skylines with only one day of rest :roll: Felt dreadful :?

Howdy Pat :)

By the end of April, the traverse should be fairly clear. I'll continue to post updates.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks, Ellen, very helpful. Looking forward to a snow report on the Sid Davis route, from our favorite snow reporter. I remember doing it in April 2010 with snow all the way from the ranger station, no need for snowshoes, microspikes or crampons, and no sinking into manzanita. Just a couple of slips and falls on the way down. Would be nice to see those conditions occurring again.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:13 pm

Howdy Ed :)

I am taking the first tram up tomorrow. Will attempt to snowshoe up to Jean (Sid Davis>Tamarack>Jean's gully>Jean>?) and perhaps Marion. The destination will depend on conditions and how I feel as I'm still thrashed from Skyline :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby SurfMatt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Ellen,

Thank you for your update. I'm a first time poster here but have been watching the forum for some time hoping for a C2C update after the tram reopened. I'm planning to hike C2C on April 11 so any more updates before then are very much appreciated! I'll plan to post any useful info I glean after my hike as well.

Thanks,
Matt
SurfMatt

Postby mr. DZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Thank you for the great information. We hiked Skyline on 5 April and had a great time. It was our first time on the trail. Overall easy to follow the established routes. The exception was at the traverse where we met low visibility and snow that slowed us down and forced us off track. But we made it in time for the last tram down. We have an early start tomorrow tackling C2C. Happy Hiking.
mr. DZ

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Went up Skyline yesterday (April 12) with Cameron and Kalen. Amazing melt off of snow from the traverse up to Grubbs Notch. Carried microspikess but didn't need them. Really glad to have hiking poles as I'm a klutz.

Many of my hiking friends are going up today. I'll check with them later today and post.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains