SNOW CREEK.

General Palm Springs area.

SNOW CREEK.

Postby RevanTheDestroyer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 am

Had plans for months to do snow creek in March but the tram still being down then kind of squashed that.... it’s back in business but my climbing partners can’t commit anymore. Is anybody going up this weekend?
RevanTheDestroyer

Re: SNOW CREEK.

Postby mtngoatmanley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:02 pm

If you go up, when were you planning on going? I was thinking about boarding down next weekend if the upper half is soft or corny. If you go this weekend, could you please post snow conditions? I went 2 years ago and it was blue ice at the top. No bueno. We scraped blades all the way to the bottom at the chockstone. Thanks and good luck!
Rob
mtngoatmanley

Postby chenhenry » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Planning to head up to snow creek this Sat, hit me up if you are interested.
chenhenry

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:37 am

Here is a recent picture of mt San Jacinto North Face from Facebook. I hope someone can download it for us
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific- ... 7430403822
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 am

chenhenry wrote:Planning to head up to snow creek this Sat, hit me up if you are interested.

FYI: message board emails might get lost in the filters of the Internet, but private messages work. They aren't really that private because there's no encryption, but they do work.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby mtngoatmanley » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:24 am

chenhenry wrote:Planning to head up to snow creek this Sat, hit me up if you are interested.

If you do go this Saturday, I would love to know the snow quality if you're willing to share. Thanks!
mtngoatmanley

Postby chenhenry » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:38 pm

A group attempted it 3/30/19 and turned back around 7000ft. They described it kind of late in the season with the mixed condition of melting snow.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvvSpVWBkaX/

I am thinking to give it a go this Sunday and, if I do I will report back the condition.
chenhenry

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 pm

That's sounds really bad for this time of year. Sunday will be a lot warmer than Saturday. I wouldn't go this year, but if I did I would pick the coolest day and wear crampons with long 2-inch spikes. They work better in slush than typical 1-inch spikes. It wouldn't surprise me if on Sunday there's a wet slide.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby chenhenry » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:45 pm

I am no expert so I asked around for different opinions, I also asked steve but he thinks it is not late in the season. But, I think I've decided to wait for another year or I can do it in the summer when it is completely free of snow, but heat will be an issue and it also means there's no bailout if I get stuck. Besides ze and steve, has anyone done the route in the summer? I want to know what they think.
chenhenry

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:45 am

Normally late March and early April is a good time, but the discussion on Instagram sounds like May or June conditions. A lot of the winter precipitation fell as rain at the lower elevations.

The least risky way I think is to spend the night near the chockstone and start the snow climb at dawn. Guessing you know the scramble route around the chockstone.

A summer bailout option is to spend the night and then go back down, but that is hard to do after climbing a technical section. I heard it's difficult to find the class 4 routes around the waterfalls.
Perry
Site Admin

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains