Tarantulas in JT

General Palm Springs area.

Tarantulas in JT

Postby violaceopes » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:12 pm

I'm a tarantula enthusiast (someone has to be), and am planning a trip to the park in the near future. The park's Web site mentions Split Rock, Oasis of Mara, and Wilson Canyon, but I'd love some "boots on the ground" input on where you've found tarantulas in or near the park. I'll be looking but not touching, of course.

I also hope to check out the Planet X formation, Upper Covington Flat, and Erotic Dome*. Any other must-sees for someone who likes "quirky" stuff?

*sound of distant snickering
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
violaceopes

Re: Tarantulas in JT

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:33 am

Samuelson’s Rocks displays the quirky wisdom of one former resident of the area.

It is mostly the naming of places and rocks that are quirky.

Evidence abounds of human desire for riches in the abandoned mines. Legends remain about some of the murders.
Wildhorse

Postby Ed » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:40 am

Wish I could advise you, viola, but I can't. Don't know much about tarantulas, but their populations may be episodic. I used to walk my dog in a nature preserve which was crawling with tarantulas for three or four months. They seemed to like to troop about in groups. We would halt and let them pass, like a loose herd of cattle. I could have stepped around them, but did not want Chloe sniffing them at close quarters. Have not seen much of them since.
Ed

Postby arocknoid » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Hello violaceopes,

You should have no trouble finding tarantulas in JTNP. Hike wherever you fancy.

Here's one you can recognize by species, gender, and condition for a good estimation of season if not month:

Happy trails section:

Watch out for the teddy bears, and their land mines.
arocknoid

Postby violaceopes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Aww, poor little dude. I hope he found himself a "nice" ladyfriend before going off to the great roach pile in the sky. What a scope and breadth in that second photo, too. I lost myself for a second.

They're such magical creatures. Ed, you've reminded me that I need to come during fall and see the "migration."

Wildhorse, thank you for that suggestion. You have a lovely way with words.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
violaceopes

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains